Monday, October 25, 2010

Baby Clothes Quilt

We are getting close to moving the Little Miss to a big girl bed! What? Where has my baby gone? Now, she is a little older than 2 and 1/2 and I know some kids her age are already in a big bed...but my daughter refuses to go with the pack:) I kept thinking that the longer we waited the more she would just ease into using a big bed...but no. She is going to be that child that gets up every 10 minutes:) My daughter is sweet, loving, but docile is something she is not!
With all that said, with a new bed comes new bedding right? Well, since I was about 15 and was embarking into the sewing world, I knew I would want to make a quilt for my children out of their old baby clothes. Yeah...I thought about weird stuff like that as a teenager. What can I say? I have always wanted to be a mom and now I am living my dream:)
SO...now that I am at that stage in my life...I don't know if I have the guts to cut up her baby clothes!! She doesn't have a ton left over since most had stains...but she has a few boxes that could make a twin size quilt. I am not really worried about clothes for the next baby (not that there is a next baby on the way) because with clothes being $.25 and $.50 at yard sales...I know our next kid won't go without.
Has anyone made a baby clothes quilt? I would LOVE to see pictures! Maybe it will ease my fear of taking scissors to my daughter's clothes:)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't made one yet, but I have a huge bag of clothes to make a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this done before and it's super cute...but I'm with ya on the scared part...what if I mess up?!? Whatever you do will be gorgeous I just know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen t shirt quilts (same idea) and would just warn about different types of fabric and the stretchy-ness of them. A friend of mine cut equal size white quilting fabric to match the pieces of shirt and sewed them together before pieceing the quilt to give it more stability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very knowledgeable about sewing with clothing fabric, (only quilt fabric) so there are a few things I would have done differently on mine. First, back all the pieces with interfacing or some other fabric if it's stretchy at all. Cut all the pieces the same direction of the stretch, so your pieces don't get grabbed by the machine if you sew two pieces rotated the opposite way. I'm having to do all my sewing by hand because I didn't want to do all that, and my pieces are all cut already. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails