Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Petal Cake


I have been seeing petals cakes all over blogland lately and I love them. Frosting was on clearance for $.17 a can at Target this week...so all the more reason to give this a try!

To create this, just pipe large dots onto cake and use a flat angled spatula to press down and out. For the bottom row, I used a baby spoon since my spatula was too large.

For better instructions on this technique, check out this video over at The Hungry Housewife. She gives great step by step instructions.

Also, for the frosting, I comined two cans of pink lemonade canned frosting with 2 cups of powdered sugar with a hand mixer. This creates a stiffer texture that will hold a design.

(If you don't need that much frosting, the ratio is 1 cup of powdered sugar for every can of frosting)




Happy Saturday!


I'm linked to:

The Southern Institute

Tatertots and Jello

7 comments:

  1. I never thought to add powdered sugar to canned frosting to make it stiffer. (Don't know why I never thought of that!) It is usually way too thin. Beautiful cake! Stopped by from the Southern Institute. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by. http://www.anartfulmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! That is so pretty and soooooo simple! I'm going to be trying this technique soon. Thanks for sharing.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo, it almost looks too pretty to eat. Almost...:)What a lovely blog you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 17 cents for frosting - wow! Stunning cake - it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks stunning! Great job and I love the tip about using a baby spoon to create the petals. So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake is beautiful! I always have trouble with frosting being too soft, I will definitely be trying your powdered sugar tip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails