Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pillowcase Challenge #1: Peasant Top

OK, so I realized lately that I may have a pillowcase obsession...and have even been asked by more than one person..."What are you going to do when your daughter doesn't fit in a pillowcase anymore?".

It's true that I love to sew with pillowcases. They are so cheap, and already sewn together...which can help in some cases:) So, I have decided to see if I can find 50 different ways to use a pillowcase! Think I can do it? I think the hardest part will be finding CUTE pillowcases.

To clarify the rules (because it's my challenge and I can make up any rules I want), I may use scraps from the same pillowcase...I mean...why waste?

So to kick off my challenge (my husband laughs when I make up challenges for myself)...here is my first project:

Pillowcase Challenge #1: Peasant Top

This is actually made from a pillow sham which was a little harder because the back is in two pieces and not one large piece.

I found this idea and tutorial here on Prudent Baby.

Mine is just a tad different than the one on their website. I made my bottom ruffle a little too short so it kept flipping up, so I sewed a top stitch along the elastic to keep the flap in place...and also added an extra ruffle on the bottom since it was a little too short for my girlie.

I really do love that website! They make their tutorials SO easy to understand...and that's great for a beginning sewer like me:)

Price:

pillow sham: $.50

elastic: $.10

TOTAL: $.60

4 comments:

  1. This is a very lovely top! I like the challenge you've made for yourself. I've been thinking of doing something similar every time I see cute pillowcase cothing. There is a book out there called 'Dozens of ways to repurpose a pillowcase' by Suzanne Tourtillot it might have some more ideas for you to complete your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eesh-Thanks so much for the idea! I am going to have to find that book:) I have a few ideas tucked away...but I am going to need more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is sooo cute! i bought some pillowcases from goodwill to do a pillowcase dress, got them home and realized they were shams! i have tried to look up tutorials for shams and can't find any. could you tell me how you tweaked prudent baby's tutorial for a sham? i love your blog!!! my e-mail is stevenjanjames@bellsouth.net. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When will you be putting up more of the pillow case challenges? I have about a million!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails