Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Flower Headband from Scraps

I love flower headbands! I love them on my daughter (who won't keep them on more than 5 minutes) and I love to wear them too! I had some scraps left over from a corduroy that I LOVE...so I made it into a flower headband.

I used 1/8 of a yard for this project.

1. Start by cutting circles out of your scraps. I made the circles about 1 1/2" in diameter. Then cut those circles in half so that you have a bunch of half circles.

I cut out 24 half circles total...but didn't end up using them all.

2. Cut a circle out of felt that is the diameter you want the finished flower to be. I used my camera lens cap which was 3 1/2" in diameter.

3. With your hot glue gun, start gluing your half circles around the edge of your felt circle. Always work in odd numbers...it makes the flower look more realistic.

4. Now for the next layer we want more dimension...so put a dab of hot glue in the bottom center of the half circle. Fold in half so the glue oozes a little bit to create a crease in the center of the half circle like shown below. Do this for all the remaining half circles.

5. Glue those around the inside of the flower overlapping the first layer.

6. Continue adding layers of flowers until you reach the center. It may help to cut down the half circles a bit once reaching the center.

You can put whatever you like in the center, a button, a gem, a brad...but I wanted a covered button.

6. Cut out a circle of fabric that is about 1/2" larger all around than your button. Apply hot glue to the outer rim of the button, pressing your fabric in as you go.

7. Glue the button in the center of the flower.

Now this flower can be used on almost anything, a picture frame, a hair tie, a pin for a blouse...but I chose a lightweight metal headband.

To attach to a headband, place the headband on your head and hold the flower where you would like it to be. Grab the headband with your fingers at that place and while taking off the band, keep your fingers in place marking that spot. You could also mark the spot with a bobby pin.

Glue the flower in that spot, and then for durability and comfort, cut out a smaller piece of matching felt and glue that over the headband to the back of the flower.

Price:

material: $0.75

headband: $0.20

Total: $0.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails