Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ruffle Heart Pillow

I went out to Joann yesterday...and spent the most I have ever spent at any craft store...I spent $25! I almost choked when I heard the total. I did manage to get everything I need for my daughter's baby clothes quilt and the materials to make this pillow...so it wasn't wasted money. I'm just normally always the one pulling down the shopper's spending average with my normal $.89 purchases:)

This was the first craft that I have attempted in a few weeks. My daughter saw a plain heart pillow at Target...but I was too cheap to spend $10 on a plain pillow. I went to get started on this pillow...when I realized that my house looked like this:

...and this...

SO...since I can't happily relax until my house is clean...I folded the 4 loads of laundry, put it away, cleaned the bathroom, the floors, and the dining room. Then I was ready to get my craft on!

Materials:

fleece (I had a 1yd remnant)

matching thread

pillow stuffing

TIP: Always make sure to check the remnant section of the fabric store. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with them. The store has to make remnants once there is less than 1yd on the bolt. You can save a lot on more expensive fabric this way...especially if you don't need much. I got this remnant (which was almost one yard) for half price of half price. Remnants are 50% off of the current price for that fabric...so the fleece was normally $9 a yard...but it was on sale for $4.50 a yard. So my remnant was again half of that making it a little more than $2.50. Make sense?

1. Cut out two heart shapes in the size you want. I made the bottoms a little more rounded than pointy so it would sit nice on the bed. In hindsight, I would have added more of a point than I did.

Also, draw out where you want your ruffle strips to go. I chose two.

2. Cut out the ruffle strips from the rest of your fleece. I cut them about 1" wide. I cut out about 7 and only ended up using 5.

3. Sew the strips into ruffles along the lines that you had drawn on. To learn how to ruffle on the sewing machine, check out my Ruffle Tree Skirt.

4. With right sides facing, pin and sew around the edges of the heart panels, leaving an opening to turn it right side out.

5. Flip right side out and stuff. Sew the opening closed.

That's it! I have to admit...I don't love it. The heart shape wasn't exactly what I was going for. It is growing on me. Does anyone ever finish a craft that they hate one night, but then it doesn't look so bad in the morning? Anyways, I know my daughter will love it...so that's all that matters. It helps when your recipient is 2:)

My edges (where I sewed both pieces together) is a little puckered in certain spots...so I may glue on some more ruffle strips along the seam. Ruffles fix everything, don't they?

I also made this larger than the one at Target. Its about 5-6" smaller than a standard pillow. I thought it would look so cute on her big girl bed...whenever we get around to moving her into it. She keeps promising me, "I will stay in it...I promise!" Does anyone else have trouble believing a toddler?

So, that's my first craft. It felt good to be sewing again. This time of year is especially hard right now. I was so sure we would get our first ultrasound, put it in the 4th picture frame stocking holder we have, and move on our merry way. This is probably the first year I am ready to get through to the new year. I really am trying to stop and enjoy this time of year, though. It's still so magical to see it through my daughter's eyes.

Price:

fleece remnant: $2.37

pillow stuffing: $1.50

Total: $3.87

Better than $10, right?

I'm linked to:

Sugar and Dots

Tea Rose Home

Someday Crafts

6 comments:

  1. so glad you're crafting again! that pillow is too cute! i'm gonna have to make one for my 2yr old! :) i thought about you tonite. i was standing in a VERY long return line at wal-mart and a man behind me had just told his wife and 2 yr old daughter he'd meet them at the car. we got to talking about our daughters and he told me they had miscarried twice before having her. he is an ultrasound tech and said he sees it all the time and no one knows how common they are. we talked about God's plan the anger you feel toward Him at the time something like that happens. we're not alone are we? :) keep your chin up girl!

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pink pillow is so pretty with all those ruffles. I don't know your story...but reading the comment above..just thought I'd say..I had a miscarriage between my first boy and my only girl,then went on to have 3 more boys! I always thought that it may have been a baby with health issues and so was glad it didnt suffer on this earth. I will meet him/her soon enough,for eternity we'll be together then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower, and guess what?! It is linky party day on my blog! Please come enter the giveaway and link up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! I love your blog!
    -Dana, Saturday Mornings

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing with fleece is so nice. I think I need to make this heart for Valentines. BTW, I am working on a pattern/tutorial for the Matryoska dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a cute pillow!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fleece-ruffled-heart-pillow/2010/12/24/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pillow is adorable and perfect for V-Day decor!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails