Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ruffle Tree Skirt from a Fleece Blanket

I have been wanting a new tree skirt for a while. My husband and I got all our Christmas decorations on clearance the month before we got married so that we would have a tree and decorations the following year for our first Christmas. Now, although that was a good idea (we got a 7ft pre lit tree for $25!) it was slim pickings when it came to tree skirts...and for some reason I never got around to replacing it over the last five years!

So, this was the year to upgrade! I wanted something simple to make, but classic and that would last for years to come.

I started with a fleece blanket that I found at Walmart for $3. They also had a lot of other colors to choose from if red isn't your favorite:)

The blanket was 50"x60".

1. First I measured how wide I wanted the skirt to be. I wanted it to be the same width as the bottom of the tree, which was 36".

2. I cut out a 36" square from my blanket.

3. I folded the square in half one direction and then in half the other direction so I had a smaller square. This is so I just had to cut one corner once instead of cutting each corner.

4. I fashioned a ghetto compass by using a piece of yarn and tying it to the end of a marker and then holding the other end to the bottom left corner (center of fold) and marking from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. You want to make the mark on the sides with the raw edges.

(The compass line is the bottom one)

5. I cut on that line.

6. Then I unfolded the circle and trimmed any places that needed to be evened up.

7. Next, I cut a slit halfway up the middle so that I could try it on the tree to make sure it was the right dimensions.

8. Next, I took the remaining long side of the blanket and cut strips that were about 1 and 1/2" wide.

9. I started sewing the strips around the bottom edge, ruffling the strip as I went. One strip was not long enough for the entire edge, so I just added strips as I went along, folding under the beginning of the next strip so it just looked like another ruffle in the same strip.

This is how I ruffle on the machine. I work in about 3" increments, gathering about three ruffles, sewing them down, stopping the machine (with the needle still in the fabric) and then grabbing more of the strip to ruffle.

I just free handed the strip all the way around, but if that worries you, then while your tree skirt circle is smoothed out, draw on lines for your ruffles and use that as a guide as you are sewing.

10. I added another ruffle strip a couple of inches in from the bottom one.

(And yes...that is a pile of clean laundry on my bed)

11. I added a third row of ruffles a couple more inches in and decided to be done there.

Super easy right? I love the weight and feel of the fleece...and that I didn't have to finish any of the edges. That made it a lot quicker to make.

You could do this with any design, not just ruffles. You could use the rest of the blanket to make little layered flowers for the skirt, or any other shapes and designs you want:)

Total Price: $3.00

I'm linked to:

Sew Much Ado

19 comments:

  1. Wow, seriously great idea! Love it! And it turned out so cute. Maybe someday I'll do this when I have time. PS did you see my latest post, my newest puff quilt? It has red and white polka dots, you might like it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AWESOME! GREAT WORK!

    I'd love if you would link it up at my TALENT TUESDAY party!

    http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    mucho love
    Nichelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea~ quick and easy! I have been looking for a new tree skirt idea. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Sew Much Ado! LOVE this. I need a tree skirt so bad since my tree is fake. I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tute! Stop by sometime :)
    Katie
    miamoodesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffled-christmas-tree-skirt-from-a-fleece-blanket/2010/12/02/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is genius! I tweeted about it too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I'm saving this in my "to do" files because I can never find a tree skirt I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merci beaucoup
    C'est très joli

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome, I love it! I'll be featuring it tomorrow :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's something very cute... A creative work.. really love it and I think I can make some dish mates like this...Oh great... thanks a lot for sharing.
    I would love if you come and enjoy the fragrance of sweet potpourri heart at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay I have been looking for a tree skirt to make and have found no fabric I liked. Now I find this! So so happy and $3 it can't get better then that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally!!!! A tree skirt that I LOVE and the fits my price range!!! Thank you, Thank you for sharing!!

    Abbi

    I will be linking back to you when I make it and post it on my blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous!!! I am your newest follower. I was searching for a tree skirt tutorial I had seen somewhere before using the fleece. I stumbled on your blog and LOVE the ruffles. Can't wait to get started.
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray! You were featured today! :)
    Amanda
    todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    P.S. I hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found your blog through Sew Much Ado. LOVE this tree skirt! Whipped myself up one tonight actually. Thanks for the good idea! If I put a pic up on my blog, I'll be sure to link back to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this! I whipped one up for myself tonight. Thanks for the great idea! If I get around to putting a pic up on my blog, I'll be sure to link back to you! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! I currently use a bunch of cloth napkins at a tree skirt--just kinda layered on top of each other. So a pretty $3 ruffly skirt would be a major upgrade! I think I even have a fleece blanket lying around... Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this great idea! I am making one myself just now!!! Yours is pretty awesome. I don't know if I can manage the ruffles....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails