Monday, March 26, 2012

Grilled Cheese Challenge #1: The Sergeant Pepper

*First off I have a wonderful announcement! (No...I'm not pregnant...that's not even funny 4 months after having a baby.)

My husband got me a new Canon Rebel for my birthday!!!

...and yes, that deserved a large font. It was a total surprise and I am in love folks. True love.

I will be selling my old Rebel to a good home and it's onward with HD pictures and video baby! I need to learn a LOT more about photography too now that I have a camera that is the shizz.

Now back to our scheduled blog post:


Hands down, grilled cheese is my favorite food of all time. Um, cheese and carbs? Yes please! So, it was only natural that when I found The Grilled Cheese Academy, I had to take it upon myself to try each of their 30 grilled cheese varieties. So, each weekend I will be trying a new sandwich and sharing it here!

Grilled Cheese #1:

The Sergeant Pepper
(sandwich recipe found HERE and onion ring recipe found HERE)

8 slices SOURDOUGH BREAD

4 slices CHEDDAR CHEESE

4 slices PEPPER JACK CHEESE

1 YELLOW ONION

1 c BREAD CRUMBS

1 c FLOUR

1 EGG

1/2 c MILK

1/2 c WATER

1 tsp BAKING POWDER

1 tsp SALT

1 tsp PEPPER

2 tbsp OLIVE OIL

VEGETABLE OIL for frying

STEP 1: Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mix together milk and egg. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture and add 1/2 c water to make a batter for the onion rings.

STEP 2: Slice onion and separate rings. Dip in batter and then roll in bread crumbs. Fry in vegetable oil (over med-high heat) until brown and crispy). Drain on paper towel.

STEP 3: Brush olive oil on outsides of bread and then on the inside, layer pepper jack cheese, onion rings, cheddar cheese, and then other slice of bread on top. Grill and brown both sides.

If you read the original recipe you see that the onion ring recipe is different and it also calls for cauliflower on the sandwich. I omitted the cauliflower and found another onion ring  recipe online that sounded more appetizing. You could also cut out a lot of work by just putting on some already made onion rings from the frozen food section.

Week 1 of the grilled cheese challenge was a success! I hope the next one tastes just as good;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails