Thursday, October 4, 2012

RECIPE: The Perfect Pumpkin Pie

 
 I wanted to make a pie the other day and found it serendipitous that I already had the ingredients for a pumpkin one! I also wanted to try out this braided crust idea that I saw on Pinterest.
 
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE
 
2 refrigerated PIE CRUSTS (or your favorite recipe)
 
3/4 cup GRANULATED SUGAR
 
1 tsp GROUND CINNAMON
 
1/2 tsp SALT
 
1/2 tsp GROUND GINGER
 
1/4 tsp GROUND CLOVES
 
2 large EGGS
 
1 can (15oz) PURE PUMPKIN
 
1 can (12oz) EVAPORATED MILK
 
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
 
STEP 2: Fill pie pan with one crust and trim up edges. Take the the other crust and cut long 1/4" strips with a pizza cutter and ruler. Braid together the strips (you will need two braids). Apply a little water to the rim of the crust in the pan and lay the braid around the outside, pressing down slightly. Set aside.
 

STEP 2: Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
 
STEP 3: Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
 
 I took the remaining pieces of the second pie crust and made some mini heart pie crust cookies. I thought they looked pretty adorable atop a slice of pie.

 
 This is the best pumpkin pie recipe I have ever made...and I have tried a lot of them. It bakes wonderfully and keeps a perfect shape. Oh, and it tastes amazing too!
 
 
Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, that braided pie crust is AMAZING! And you make it seem so doable...definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful pie! I love the braid trim. I can't wait to try it out on my next pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the braided crust for Thanksgiving this year and it worked great! My pumpkin pie was a big hit :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails