Sunday, August 17, 2014

DIY: Frozen Inspired Birthday Cake

Yikes, so much has been happening and this place got flat out neglected. Between computer changes, vacations, tantrums, and our new adventure into homeschooling, life has been kinda crazy.
 
Sorry about that.
 
Anyone out there anymore??
 
I have been getting many comments and messages asking if and when I will post about the cake I made for my daughter's Frozen party. Well...it's finally here!!
 
While I don't have step by step pictures, I will give links to recipes and techniques used. Hope that's good enough;)
 
First off...let me say that I am NOT a cake maker so I hope that is encouragement to anyone out there who wants to make pretty cakes (and doesn't want to shell out $50 or more for a birthday made by someone else).
 
Materials:
 
(I found mine on Craigslist for $5...score!)
 
Box cake mix or cake recipe of your choice
(I did three 8" layers)
 
Wilton buttercream icing recipe
(I doubled the recipe so that I had enough to crumb coat the cake and then frost it)
 
(tinted blue)
 
blue sugar sprinkles
 
clear crystal sprinkles
 
edible pearls
 
dowel rods
 
white chocolate melts
 
(tinted blue with neon food coloring)
 
 
STEP 1: I baked the cake and leveled all the layers. I stacked them and applied a crumb coat with the buttercream. I placed it in the refrigerator.  
 
STEP 2: I made the royal icing and tinted it blue. I started on the plastic cones for the tops of the turrets. I used the petal method. I started at the base of the cone and went all the way around and then worked towards the point. I repeated the same method for the triangle piece for the center of the cake. I used a larger circle tip for them.
 
STEP 3: I used a small circle tip to outline the windows and door pieces with the same royal icing. I also topped them with the blue sprinkles and placed an edible pearl in the centers. I let all the pieces sit and dry (which doesn't take too long with royal icing).

 
STEP 4: I cut dowel rods the height of the cake (a little shorter) and melted the white chocolate melts. I dipped the rods into the melted chocolate and placed them on the bottom of the tower pieces and let them dry.

 
STEP 5: I pulled the cake out of the refrigerator and frosted it with the rest of the buttercream and put a dot border around it. I used more of the melted chocolate and dipped the bottom of the surrounding tower pieces (the ones I used around the cake) and placed them on the cake board and pressed them slightly into the side of the cake. I placed the triangle roof piece in the middle and then the three towers with the dowels into the top of the cake.


STEP 6: I dipped the cone pieces into the melted chocolate and placed them on top of the tower pieces. I then took more of the melted chocolate and drizzled it on top of the towers with a spoon to look like snow. I sprinkled some crystal sprinkles on top before it hardened and around the cake plate.
 

 
STEP 7: I made the glass hard candy and broke it into pieces and placed it around the top and base of the cake. This was the kids' favorite part of the cake! They thought it was so cool;)
 
STEP 8: My daughter had the Frozen play set from the Disney Store so I dipped the characters in the chocolate and placed them on the cake board.
 
DONE!
 

 
I hope that helped! I know my kids' birthday cakes haven't been and never will be "perfect" but I love the process of making them. And remember...your kid will think they rock no matter what;)
 
Happy Sunday!


3 comments:

  1. Your step by step makes it sound so easy! ;) It is beautiful and I think perfect, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love seeing all these photos. I hope you have enough strength to make me a 31st birthday cake...of the dressing room are of Savers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this cake for my daughter's 6th birthday party. I couldn't find the Wilton Romantic Castle Cake set and didn't have time to search and order it online. I just bought some plastic dowels, cut them to size and "glued" ice cream cones to the tops of them with frosting. I then placed an upside down sugar cone inside each to make the cone-shaped roofs for the towers. It certainly didn't look as professional as yours, but my daughter and all her friends were amazed (not to mention the parents!)! Thank you so much for posting this, you made my little girl's birthday even better!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails