Wednesday, February 9, 2011

$10 Dresser Redo

I'm back in the 21st century! Not having the Internet for over a week was horrible for about the first two days...then it's crazy how I just got used to it and I'm actually on it a lot less now.

We are FINALLY moved in. I think this was the longest and most stressful move to date and after a lot of crying and tantrums (from my 2yr old...and from me)...the hubs and I have vowed to never move again! Unless the condo across the street opens up for sale someday...other than that, we are here for-evah!

I still don't have good pictures of the place since it was clean for maybe a day...so I hope to share our new place soon! For now, I will share my most recent project:)

My grandma's house is being cleaned out in order to sell it, so a while ago I asked for this old dresser for my daughter's room:

(Sorry I never took a full picture of it before I started painting)

My goal was to paint it white...but after using one whole can of spray paint just on two drawers and finding that it was going to take about 30 more cans of paint to get the job done...I grabbed some black paint that I had and it covered the dresser like a dream.

This is the space before I moved out our old desk (that the movers broke while moving it):

I could tell it was going to easily become magnet for junk and I HATE clutter!

Now, here is the nook with my new black dresser:

I'm in love with it! Its a little more "shabby chic" than the rest of our space (which is Ikea and Target), but I love that it was my grandma's (actually my mom's first) and that it has history. Plus this new condo has three closets...so I need all the storage I can get!

I have some plans for the top of this baby. I want a funky lamp for the top and some colorful artwork above it...but for now my teenage lamp and photo of my husband and I (that I took in college) can stay where they are.

In case you are wondering, I used Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. It is by far my favorite black spray. Its got a hint of brown in it so it's not so stark black and it has the best satin finish. Best of all, it covers really well. I did this whole dresser with three cans!

OK...I'm off to work on some more projects and maybe just maybe sit for a little while:) It's good to be back!

Total Price (3 cans of spray paint at $3.24 each): $9.72

I'm linked to:

Sugar and Dots

Tatertots and Jello

6 comments:

  1. I think this is fabulous! I swear I have that same dresser-lol.
    I had not thought about using the oil rubbed spray paint for wood furniture, but I love it! That paint is my favorite also.
    Thanks for the great inspiration!
    I'm stopping by from Sugar & Dots.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! Totally wish I had a fab dresser like that! Thank you for linking up, doll! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm so glad you're back! p.s. I can't wait to come over for a tour - we have tons of cookies for you guys to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous, I love it!
    I was just on the phone w/ my mom laying claim to a couple dresser's that are in my grandpa's house which will be cleaned out this summer. I think I may have to cheat off of your idea for one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I got a dresser just like that when I was 9 (only my bottom 2drawers went all the way across)...then we used it when we got married...finally burned it last summer! DARN...that looks great!! See why I never throw anything away!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job!! LOVE IT!!

    Quick question for ya...I have a dresser from the same bedroom set that I am wanting to paint cotton candy pink for my daughter's room. Did you sand down or "pre-treat" the dresser before you painted it? Does "oil rubbed" refer to the type of paint or the color? Thanks for your time ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails