Friday, February 11, 2011

Wall Art for Under $5

I wanted some fun artwork above our dining room table, but since I have other plans for that space eventually...I didn't want to put too much money or effort into it:) Basically I was in the mood for an easy craft...ever feel like that after a lot of big projects?

So, I found these file dividers at Target in their $1 section:

I actually got 5 in the pack...but I saved the fifth one for something else. I cut the tab side and side with holes off with my paper cutter so that they were 9"x11".

I got out my box of acrylic paints and mixed colors together until I got a combination I liked and just painted random spots on each image. I liked leaving some black and white spaces so that they still fit in with our other decor.

Next, I got some 11x14 frames at the dollar store, painted them black with acrylic paint and then sealed them with Mod Podge. I tried to spray paint them...but they must have some oil on the frame or something because the spray wouldn't stick very well.

Finally I matted each picture using my posterboard trick and that was it! I like how much color they bring to the space and they match my red dining room chairs really well too.

They won't live in this space for too long...but they are a great place holder for now. I think they will look great going up the staircase someday too. I would like to get better frames for them someday as well...but until Target has theirs for 75% off...these dollar store ones are perfect:)

Price:

file folders: $1.00

3 picture frames: $3.00

posterboard: $.50

Total: $4.50

I'm linked to:

Tatertots and Jello

5 comments:

  1. This a great idea! I can't wait to do it at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful...Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great, but I really loved the plates! I hope you didn't give them to the thrift store, I would have bought them! :) I think you could easily make a living off selling the crafts you replace with new projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog.There are so many inspiring ideas here.Wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails