Monday, November 1, 2010

Dining Room Chairs Redo

We got this table and chairs set off craigslist almost a year ago. It came with black chairs originally...well they were poorly stained black chairs. Don't you hate it when pictures online aren't very accurate?

So I always planned on painting the chairs black...until I got this wild hair to paint them red. I thought it would be so cool and different. Then 5 cans (and 2 trips to Walmart) later...I hated the chairs, hated Walmart, and decided I was neither cool nor different..and I should have just painted them black. Ever do that during a project?

Well, I stuck it out and finished painting them (they seriously took about 20 coats each) and finally liked them...a little.

Then I distressed the edges...all while my mother is asking me, "You're going to do what? Ruin the paint job?"...so there is more time of me explaining to her that it's what our generation does...and then the conversation just ends with us both agreeing that my generation likes to ruin things...sigh.

But after the distressing and a good night's sleep (anyone ever sneeze the color you have been painting with? TMI?)...I fell in love with them. Can you be in love with chairs? Let's see...they don't talk back when I tell them to stop jumping on the couch, or when their work uniforms are still wet in the dryer...so yeah, I love them:)

Now we just have to see if they can survive a toddler...another reason why I distressed them beforehand:)

Total makeover: $15 (5 cans of spray paint)

I'm linked to:

Thrift Decor Chick

Sew Dang Cute

Honeybear Lane

http://
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I am hosting a "Trash to Treasure" party over at Sassy Sites! You should come by and join in! :) xoxo!- Marni
    www.sassysites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure that is exactly the same table and chairs I have. You've given me an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them!! We have similar chairs. I just need to convince my hubby this would be a wonderful thing for me to do. Where did you paint them, since you're in an apartment? I have wondered where I would do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same set..and the same chairs with the same bad black stain job {thanks ikea}. I can't wait to re-do ours! I'm diggin' the red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up with Sassy Sites for "Trash to Treasure Tuesday". :)

    -Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about your chairs. In fact, I followed a link from Google because I was hoping they were for sale. (For that matter, I love your table, too. Your whole set is exactly what I'm hunting for. :) ) Perhaps I'll follow your lead and simply create what I need. Thanks for sharing your project!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails