Sunday, April 24, 2011

5 Minute Headbands



I haven't been crafty in a looong time. I finally got a prescription for my nausea and we are best friends!! I'm mad I didn't ask for it sooner. I feel like a "normal" person again. You know...someone who can actually look at food and not want to puke:)



So, when I do craft these days, I like easy crafts. Who doesn't, right? So, when it came time for our 5th (and final) birthday party in April (we celebrate 9 birthdays and anniversaries total)...I wanted something fun, cute, and quick:)



We went to a birthday for a 4 year old who likes headbands ("because all the princesses wear headbands" duh.) so some matching headbands for a cute outfit sounded perfect.



I found this pack of three headbands at Family Dollar for $.60. They were already wrapped in satin and ready to embellish.



I got 1/8 a yard of pretty and lightweight fabric at Joann. The white/polka dot fabric was in the bridal section and the floral fabric was part of a new collection.





I started by cutting 6 circles out of the material. Each was about 3-4" in diameter.





I folded the circle in half:





Then folded 1/3 of the half circle in towards the center:





Then finally folded the other 1/3 of the half circle in towards the center (but facing the backside):





(If you are using something heavier than tulle or mesh, put a dab of hot glue at each fold)



Starting at about the middle top of the headband, I glued my fabric pieces down. The material was kind of like a mesh...so I didn't have to glue at all in the steps above...just gluing to the headband was enough to keep all the layers together.



Next, I layered the next fabric piece about halfway down the previous one and kept going along with that pattern.





(Note: Be careful when hot gluing white, most time the hot glue turns yellow when it dries. Mine didn't show through...but if you are having a problem, use fabric glue)



You could put something fun at the bottom piece like a flower, bow, or gemstone. I liked the simplicity of just the fabric.



I made another headband in pink and they both go perfectly with a cute summer outfit for the birthday girl:)



Price:



headbands: $.60



fabric: $.80



Total: $1.40 for both headbands!


I'm linked to:


Sugar and Dots

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute headband!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-5-minute-embellished-headband/2011/04/24/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea, I am totally trying this! It's also a good way to get rid of scraps.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails