Friday, July 8, 2011

Baby Clothes Quilt: Part 4...Finished!!




My daughter's baby clothes quilt is finally finished! It was a lot more work than I anticipated...but also SO much fun.




Once I got all my squares sewed together and the seams ironed on the back, it was time finish it up.




I took my backing material (a twin sheet) and laid that face up on the floor, then my squares went on top of that (face down) and then finally the batting on top of it all. I used the lowest loft batting by the yard at Joanns.




I pinned all the way around and stitched all the way around as well..leaving a 12" opening so I could turn it right side out.







Once I turned it right side out, I folded in my opening and top stitched around the entire blanket with about a 1/4" seam. I did it this way because I didn't want to put binding on the ends of the blanket.







Now I had a blanket...but it needed to be secured in certain spots to keep the layers from shifting.




Instead of quilting this in the traditional sense (a lot of stitching over the entire blanket)...I opted for a less noticeable way of securing the blanket in even spots. There are some embellishments (buttons, pockets, and bows) on this blanket so I wasn't sure how quilting it all over would work or look in the end and I didn't want to distract from the clothing.




I measured out equal spots to sew and pinned those areas. Basically I pinned the meeting corners of every other square (in every other row). Then, I sewed a small straight line on that seam where the squares met. It was very simple and is not noticeable from the front.







That completed my first baby clothes quilt!




I tried to cut out as much from each piece of clothing that had the most character such as pockets, bows, or buttons.













Here is the back of the quilt. I found this flat sheet at the thrift store and it had polka dots in all colors so I thought it complemented the front of the blanket nicely without distracting from it.







Here you can see my little stitches to keep the blanket from shifting:







I'm SO happy with the way it turned out! I also can't believe I actually finished it! It was one of those things on my crafting "to do" list that I am so happy to cross off. Cutting the clothes up was by far the hardest part (emotionally)...but seeing it all put together into something that can last years and years is so worth it.




I have to admit the first night I finished it, I sat on the couch and cuddled with it:) I know my daughter is only 3 (going on 30), but as she grows older and older I am finding out that they only stay little for a short amount of time. One day I will get to make one for our little guy too:)







Price:




clothes: already had




2 yds lightweight fusible interfacing (for stabilizing knit materials): $2.50




2 yds of low loft batting: $3.99 (with 50% sale)




polka dot backing material (thrifted twin sheet): $1.50




Total: $7.99




But really...this blanket it priceless:)



I'm linked to:



Tatertots and Jello


Sugar and Dots

24 comments:

  1. I'm here from Tatertots, and I think that this quilt is amazing! I have bins full of clothes, and I'd love to think that I could make something like this. Your daughter must love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...this is TOO CUTE! I love this idea! My mom is a huge quilter...I see this being a project for her someday soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. darling. I wish I had all of my kids' baby clothes :*( They are long gone, since mine are all teens now (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! I love how it turned out! I saw someone making stuff out of old BDUs and I thought I needed to send one of Kerry's old shirts to you so you could make Noah a backpack for pre-school. Great idea right? I know I'll never pull it off myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely idea! I'm not a mum but wish I still had all the clothes I outgrew so I could make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet, your daughter is very lucky! Beautiful quilt!
    Modern Wivelyhood

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to ask you how this was going. I LOVE it! Now I might have another item on my to do list, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. It came out more beautiful than I imagined. I like the edges, very simple. It may have cost little pennies, but the time could easily have added hundreds to the price! I would gladly pay you $100 to make a t-shirt quilt for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Melissa that looks soooo awesome!!! You did such a great job! I'm gonna have to start saving some of my kids clothes so I can do this. Thanks so much for showing us!!!!

    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gasped when I saw the finished photo! Must get to work organizing my boys' clothes to get theirs going. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa this is so adorable! I love your quilt. I wish I would of done this for my babies. My oldest is now 17.
    My youngest son is 2 1/2 maybe I can do one for him.
    Job well done!
    www.dawnicakorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Such a great idea. Congrats on finishing such a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so sweet. I love that you made a pattern out of the clothes. I pinned you for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an amazing and meaningful quilt idea.. a real throwback to "back when" when they made all their quilts out of old clothes! I love the sentimental value it holds. I featured you today on my baby gift roundup as part of my Christmas in July series :)

    http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/07/baby-christmas-gift-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks fabulous!! I recently finished a quilt too for my mum for her birthday. She cried with joy muahaha! I love all the colours you used in this one ^_^


    Claire

    http://www.hearthandmade.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out beautiful! I just found your blog through Pinterest when I was trying to find inspiration for my own baby clothes quilt. I'm about 2/3 done cutting the squares out of the clothes now. I love the way you arranged the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi,just want to say i enjoy u r site and i bookmark it for later on

    kids clothes suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I tear up every time I think about giving away my son's clothes. This is a great way to preserve all of his baby clothes!


    I'm a new follower and love our blog! Would love the follow back! Enter my giveaway for a Nordstrom and Starbucks gift card!

    The Pretty Pinhead

    ReplyDelete
  19. this melts my heart, i will definitely be making for my little miss and mr. Like you, I know it will be incredibly difficult for me to cut up all their teeny tiny outfits but love that the outcome is a special blanket, forever a reminder of my wonderful little people. I came across one my great grandmother made in the 30's this week of her kids baby clothes, sat and had a picnic with my babes on it. what a nice thing to pass down.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a lovely idea! I'm not a mum but wish I still had all the clothes I outgrew so I could make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this quilt! I tried to do this for my daughter but do not have your talent!! Amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have seen this a long time ago in a Martha Stewart magazine. My daughter is now 12 and I still have 1 (very big box) of her baby clothes, I have been wanting to do this for a long time. (12 years in fact!) this might be my winter project for 2012. thank you for the wonderful idea using the flat sheet! Genius!

    xo aimee

    ReplyDelete
  23. i've always always dreamt of making something like this for my children...i have a toddler and new baby, too! =) this is such inspiration and motivation! thanks for this post and all your attention to detail~ i hope mine will come out as gorgeous as yours has! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails