Friday, July 22, 2011

Vintage Mickey and Minnie Birthday Party

My daughter's 3rd birthday was back in March and we had a vintage style Mickey and Minnie party for her. I'm going to be honest and confess that I haven't posted these pictures because I wasn't really happy with the way the party turned out. We had the party in February and I was still a mess (read the above "miscarriage" label if you care to know more) and had just gotten over a flu bug that week. Oh yeah..and I was also pregnant again...but I just didn't know it yet! Now I can look back on the pictures and be happy with it because it made my daughter happy. Sometimes we need not be our own worse "mommy critic", right?



For dessert, I made cupcakes for everyone. They are the easy way out and I love them for it:) No cutting cake and hoping there is enough for everyone!





I found the cute blue polka dot wrappers at Michael's and made little paper flowers for the tops (make sure to let everyone know not to eat them!). The ears were thin mint candies and I just used canned chocolate frosting and a large star tip to ice them. I was going to punch out little "buttons" for the front of the Mickey cupcakes...but didn't have time.



I just ordered some pizza for lunch and this was our "dessert" table:





I drew the Mickey and Minnie myself and put out my daughter's favorite sweet treats: licorice, M & M's and Hershey Kisses.



The cake for her to blow out her candles with was just something simple I whipped up. I baked half a cake mix in a bowl and then flipped it over and iced it. The "ears" are two rice cakes (also iced) and pressed into the cake with toothpicks. Then I just added the silk flower for an embellishment.





I made a Mickey tray for the candy but gluing two small black paper plates to one large one creating a Mickey silhouette. I bought the red and silver Hershey kisses after Valentine's day and picked out all the red, yellow, and blue M & M's from regular bags. (BTW: There are a LOT more green and orange ones compared to these colors. A weird fact that I now know...)



Oh, and the "cake stand" was a round cylinder Tupperware container that I covered with some blue and white polka dot material to look like Minnie's skirt.



For decorations I got some coordinating latex balloons, grouped them together, and taped some Mickey and Minnie pictures to the strings.









I used black paper plates, blue polka dot napkins, and red cups for lunch. On the red cups, I cut out white circles (from sticker paper) and made "buttons" for the front to make them look like Mickey's pants.





I also printed out some personalized labels for the water and juice boxes for the kids.





For my daughter's party outfit, I made her a little dress out of the same material that I used on the cake stand and pulled the red bows off the shoes she wore with her Minnie costume.





Lastly, my party favor bags were super simple. They consisted of handmade coloring books (seriously the BEST favor idea I have ever seen that I found at Prudent Baby), crayons, and little boxes of candy. I found the candy at Walmart during Valentine's Day.






For the coloring books I started with these books I found in the $1 section at Target. Let me tell you, I was SO excited to find an all vintage Mickey coloring book right before my daughter's party! It was meant to be:)





I tore out the pages and trimmed the edges (to get rid of the copyright stamps at the bottom).





Then I made a folded flap for the side out of card stock and used a zigzag stitch to sew them together. I didn't take the time to put covers on them...but I actually liked them that way.





For the crayons, I bought a large box of crayons and divided them up into different groups. I made the little bags by sewing together a little pouch made of wax paper. It was just a nice twist on a traditional crayon box. I then put all the items in fun polka dot party bags that I had found on clearance at Target.





So...that was our fantastic vintage Mickey and Minnie party! I'm glad I finally shared it on here. My daughter STILL talks about it...so I know she was happy that day and that's all that matters.



Plus, now she is already planning her Tinkerbell party for next spring...yikes!

6 comments:

  1. It looks like a great party! :) I love that you went with the "vintage" mickey & minnie theme instead of the new, modern, mickey mouse clubhouse version. :) Very classic and cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! that is by far the best party ever. my daughter is 2 and is a HUGE micky mouse fan...thats all she talks about! you had some great ideas! i think i'll definitly have to use some of your ideas for her next birthday!! Thanks again SO much for sharing....it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS! I love it!! What a great mom you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous party! I just designed an invitation for a Mickey Mouse party and passed along your blog to the hostess. I love the cupcakes, dots on the cups and the coloring books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon your blog post via Pinterest and I LOVE this party! You did a GREAT job! I am having a "Vintage Minnie" party for my daughter's 2nd birthday and you've given me LOTS of wonderful ideas to include! Thank you!I am wondering though, where did you find the Minnie images you had on the balloon strings? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I printed the images off the internet onto white cardstock and cut them out. Then I just taped them to the balloon strings;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails