Monday, September 13, 2010

Minnie Mouse Dress

Well...after I made my daughter's mouse ears I was just going to make a matching shirt...just a shirt. But somehow that led to making a skirt to just a whole dress. I mean...if I am already buying the material...

Sorry there is no tutorial for this:( My plan kept changing about every five minutes. At one point it ended up in the trash and then I pulled it back out the finish it. Is anyone else an emotional crafter like me?

My original plan was not to have the skirt part in panels, but in one big piece...but after my first plan bombed...I only had scraps left and it didn't sound like to fun to go back to Joanns and get more fabric. So I worked with what I had. I now know how to cut it out of one piece in the future though...so at least I learned a new sewing lesson!

The shoes were old white flats my daughter had. They were a little grungy so I painted them with yellow acrylic paint and then sealed them with Mod Podge. I made bows out of some remaining dress material and glued them on. I have no idea how long they will last...but if they can make it through one day at Disneyland and maybe her birthday...then I am happy!

The back is pretty simple. I didn't want to mess with installing a zipper...so I just cut a slit and then it closes at the top with an eye and hook from an old bra:) Before you throw your bras away...cut those babies out!

Also, I left some straps on the back so I could tie it closed. It wasn't long enough for a bow (again...I didn't want to run out to the store) so this little knot will work just fine:) I also put fray check on the ends of the ribbon so they wouldn't unravel.

The cuffs on the side are satin ribbon ironed in half lengthwise and then I just slipped them over the raw sleeve edges and sewed them on. The ruffle at the bottom is also satin ribbon. I ruffled it on the machine first, then sewed it to the hem of the dress.

This was a very simple dress. I plan on making my daughter another one for church so I will make sure to have a tutorial then:) I can't decide if it needs the "bloomers" underneath. Right now I like it the way it is:) I love how classic it looks without looking "costumey".

Price:

1yd red material: $3.50

satin ribbon: $1.00

bias tape: $.90

I already had: the shoes, paint, and hooks

Total: $5.40

I am linked to:

Someday Crafts

A Crafty Soiree

Tatertots and Jello

Olivia Renn

11 comments:

  1. That is ADORABLE!!!!!! I love it! She will be the cutest Minnie in the whole place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one of those for my daughter! Such a cute, cute dress (and little girl)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is adorable, I can't believe you only used one yard and I'm glad you were able to come up with a solution to use the fabric you had. I love that you repurposed the shoes, what a great idea to paint them and the matching bows are the perfect finishing touch. Your daughter will be the cutest Minnie ever! Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope you'll come back next week and link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is adorable... I would love to wear this myself! Thanks for linking up to A Crafty Soiree-- would love for you to join us again tomorrow!
    malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps I'm your newest follower!
    malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! So cute. Thanks for linking up over at Olivia Renn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you by wat of Tatertots and Jello. This so adorable! I agree how it looks classy and not costumey. Wonderful job! And the shoes what a smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is awesome!!!!! i would LOVE a tutorial for this! i actually have that fabric in pink to make for my daughter for halloween. i printed out your ears tutorial too so my daughter will have the cutest ears in the neighborhood! :) thanks for your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, did you ever make another dress with a tutorial? Or could you share some secrets, by chance? I'm trying to make a Minnie costume for my *almost* 2 year old, and am a little nervous about doing it :) Your outfit is soo adorable! I love it! You are very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't ever gotten around to making another dress with a step by step tutorial:( I made this a couple of years ago when I was really new to sewing and just kind of made it up as I went along!

      My advice is to take one of your daughter's dresses that fits well and use it as a template for the bodice and skirt. I also googled how to make these cap sleeves. I just looked online for different tutorials for each piece (sleeves, attaching a skirt to a bodice, and using single wide bias tape for the collar). Hope that kind of helps!;) Good luck!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails