Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pillowcase Challenge #7: Easy Pillow Cover

I found this pillow sham at GoodWill this week (for 75 cents!) and instantly fell in love with it. At first, I thought I might just cover some art canvas with it and hang it as art...but then I decided to just make a pillow:)

First I put my pillow form into the sham so I could position it where I wanted it and measure where I needed to make my cuts.

Second, I cut my pillow sham to those dimensions that I noted earlier. To sew it together, I place the front panel right side up, and then both of the overlapping pieces right side down.

I pinned all the way around...and then sewed all the way around. No need to leave a space to turn it right side out...it already has an opening in the back. Yay!

Then I just flipped it right side out and put my pillow form in:)

I really like it so far...it's just that pillows don't seem to last long in our house. That's why I don't put much time into them anymore. I have learned the hard way that they get abused easily:)

So, do you like this pillowcase or does it look familiar? Well....that's because the bedding set is still on sale at Target! I saw it the day after I bought the sham:) Do you ever find things at the thrift store that are still full price at another store? I mean...do people really decided to donate their stuff that quickly? And I thought I changed my mind a lot!

Oh, and the hubs and I finally agreed on some bedding! Our bed has only been naked for...well I don't know how long! I change my mind basically on a minute-to-minute basis:)

So, we went with this bedding from Walmart. Just a simple brown. The big seller was how soft it is...it is pretty amazing! I really want white bedding...but with a husband who is around motorcycles all day and loves chocolate (he seriously got chocolate on the last white duvet I made) and a 2yr old that...well...always has something on her...white was not the best idea:)

If some of you share a "love, hate....but mostly hate" relationship with Walmart...read on:

I went to one Walmart for the bedding and they had the color I wanted...but not the size. So I asked three (yes three!) different workers how I could track down the color and size I wanted...to which they all just said, "I need the UPC"...um...I don't work for Walmart...so how would I have that??

Finally the third worker said that they didn't made the brown set in a queen size. I just stared at her for a minute....then I said, "Uh...what?" to which she proceeded to tell me that they made the brown in all colors except queen size. Uh...yeah...I'm pretty sure nothing about that sounded right. But she was quite secure in her statement...so I just walked away...almost starting to believe her. I mean it did sound like something Walmart would do!

Then I got home to my friend, the Internet, and found my size and color in a round about way on Google...and found my size and color at another Walmart.

So...I guess I have to be a little happy with Walmart because I like the bedding...but how badly did I want to go into the first store, with the bedding, find that worker, and say, "You mean Walmart didn't make this bedding??" I know...mature:)

Oh...and my husband's favorite part is that the bedding doesn't match our bedroom furniture (which actually doesn't really match either)...so when we move I am finally getting some matching bedroom furniture! Woot-woot! I can finally walk in my room feeling like a grown-up:)

2 comments:

  1. LOL! You crack me up! Thank you for the award. *blush*:-) I grabbed the button and will post it on my next blog entry. :-) Love your tutorial! I bet somebody is looking for their missing pillow sham. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom story cracked me up. We are still trying to get furniture for our home -- that isn't hand me downs so that it all matches. Funny though. The first room that got done - our sons. But now the whole house is done - except our room and I already want to work on the redecorating the other rooms. (Who sees our room anyways?) :) I totally get you!

    werethejoneses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails