Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DIY Chevron Wall Art







I have been a busy crafter lately. I got all my the squares for my daughter's baby clothes quilt sewn together (pictures to come), finished some curtains for our dining room (using the same material as these curtains from a duvet), completed my first custom order, and also finished up some projects for my friend's upcoming baby shower! I'm on a roll and I don't want to stop because I'm afraid I may never tackle my "to do" list again:)




On my list was something for our dining room. I wanted something large...but neutral since my curtains are a bright color. It's no secret that I love chevron. I love everything about chevron and I would even drape myself in chevron if it were socially acceptable (Seinfeld lovers will get that). So, a large piece of chevron wall art seemed to fit our style and my budget of zero point zero zero dollars (Bronx Beat shout out).




I started by finding an image of a chevron pattern and enlarging it on my computer screen. Then I took plain white computer paper, held it up to the screen, and traced the pattern. To make my stencil more precise, I went over each line with a ruler and a black marker.







I painted a large piece of thin wood white with acrylic paint since I already had some.




Next, I cut out my stencil and traced it over my whole board with an ink pen. I recommend tracing your stencil with something light so that it's easier to paint in later.







Finally, I painted in ever other line with some gray acrylic paint that I had and I was done! I found a foam brush worked best to get really clean corners and lines.







The wood I used is less than 1/4 of an inch thick. It was a piece of scrap wood my dad had and it was chipped and splitting in certain places and I really liked the texture of the design over each crack and imperfection.




I also hung it on the wall by nailing picture frame hooks on the back.




Also, you may have noticed that my red chairs are black again. Although I liked them red...I never thought to seal them and constantly wiping them down each day was starting to fade the paint (not the mention the movers scratched them up quite a bit). So, they are black again and I love them:) And a round of applause for my hubby for painting them for me without complaining one bit! I know he is counting down the months until I can paint my own projects again.



I'm linked to:



Sugar and Dots


Party Mindie Style

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Can I use it as the backdrop when I take pictures of Preston in in chevron baby legs??? HA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooove it!!! (imagine with sing-songy voice :) ) I like black chairs, too. When my husband painted ours from off white to white, he didn't sand the old paint off so they are chiping and peeling like crazy. Last night I was scrubbing them down (since darling Sister colored on them! hehehe) and realized just how bad they are. I want to paint them black or some other fun color, but am a bit intimidated since they have like a million spindles (you know the bar, things...is that the right word?) and I know that it will take forever! (oh and fyi...if the green fishy crackers from the rainbow variety get wet and don't get wiped up right away, they will stain your white table yellow...found that out yesterday, too! eeeek!)
    And yes, you have a good hubby! Such a good sport.
    Have a fabulous day! Praying for Friday! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing I love this and must have a stab at it. It looks awesome. I pinned it too.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still can't believe our first party had over 300 links. I have a special give away planned for linkers this week at bacon time.

    Thanks again, hope to see you this weekend again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails