Saturday, November 13, 2010

Easy Camera Strap Cover

My friend called me the other night to tell me she ordered a really cute camera strap cover off of Etsy. She asked if I had ever thought of making one...and I had a while back and it just got put off with all the other "crafts for another day" that are in my head:)

Well, after she showed me hers, I had camera strap cover envy...so I made a really simple one for myself. I also opted for a cover instead of a new strap because my husband also uses our camera so I wanted to be able to remove it when he wanted to use it.

Now, I call this an "easy" cover because I cut a lot of corners. First off, can I get a little love for my fellow "it's nice to be lazy every now and then" crafters? I mean, I am all about putting time into a craft...there are just some days (and some crafts) that I want done and over with, you know?

Anyways...this is one of those crafts...and all you "I would never cut corners" crafters out there...hows about you come join me on this lazy side of crafting and then enjoy the extra time you have after cutting all those corners:)

Materials:

fabric for strap (I used snuggle flannel so it would be nice and soft)

fabric for camera lens pocket

matching thread

hot glue gun

1. Cut your strap fabric the same length as your strap (plus 1") and double the width (plus 1")

Now, one thing my friend mentioned was that her strap cover had a pocket for the camera lens cap. I also knew I wanted that, but since my lens cap is wider than my strap...I made a separate pocket for it (instead of sewing one into the strap) so that my strap would not be too wide.

2. So, cut a pocket piece for your cap that is the same size in width (plus 1") and double the length (plus 2").

3. Now, starting with the strap material, fold in each end 1/4" and then another 1/2" and sew with a straight stitch.

4. With right sides facing, fold your strip in half lengthwise and sew up the raw edge with a straight stitch.

5. Slip your cover over your strap.

Now, my cover was still a little loose and I didn't want it bunching up on me, so I top stitched along both sides of the strap cover (being careful not to sew into the actual strap inside). It created more of a snug fit.

Now onto the cap pouch:

6. Fold in the short edges of your pocket piece 1/2" and then another 1/2" and sew with a straight stitch.

7. With right sides facing, sew up both raw sides with a straight stitch.

To make the pocket look a little nicer on the strap, I sewed the bottom corners in a little bit to be the width of the strap cover.

8. Flip pocket right side out.

To also make this look a little more "finished" I top stitched around the outside of the pocket.

OK, ready for my ultimate "I just want this done, I don't really care if it lasts forever because I will most likely change my mind tomorrow" step?

I hot glued the pocket onto the strap. Oh yes I did!

I liked this alternative of attaching the pocket on afterwards better because now my cover fits snug to the strap without having to be wide enough for the lens cap.

So, this project was free cause I already had the material. I see myself with a cuter patchwork one in the near future...but this was a fun and easy project that got me out of my crafting rut:) I do see a little rosette on the pocket maybe.

So, what are your cheating secrets? I would love to hear them!

I'm linked to:

Sew Much Ado

Tatertots and Jello

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I love the pocket for the lenscap - I'm always having to find a place to stash the cap when I'm taking photos.

    I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-camera-strap-cover-with-a-lenscap-pocket/2010/11/14/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I am going to make one for my daughter for Christmas, she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it, i must say, you could so sell those.. That is amzing and so darn cute as well..
    LOVE it,and a happy new follower
    Karryann
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial! I am all for cutting corners. This looks super easy. Can't wait to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and I love the little pocket for the lens cover. I've made strap covers by crocheting embroidery thread. I'll have to add a little pocket as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great! I knew I should have just asked you to make me one. I like yours better than the one I ordered on etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This is genius! I LOVE the idea of having a pocket for your lens cap. I never know where to put it and am always afraid I'm going to leave it somewhere! Woohoo! Great tutorial! I'm a new follower--found you via craft gossip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lens cap pocket love here. I'm thinking-maybe I could attach velcro to the pocket and the strap and then pull off the pocket if I don't want it on there sometimes...hmm. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great strap! Your tutorial is very understandable too so thank you for that!

    (found you from "sew much ado")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this-great idea to have the pocket on the strap!! Thanks so much for sharing! I blogged it here:
    http://makealong.blogspot.com/2011/01/camera-strap-with-lens-cap-pocket.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter takes after her dad who is a professional photographer. I am going to make her a strap cover and it occurred to me that maybe putting elastic on the top part of the pocket would make it more secure. I am doing it in some really neat black/white decorator fabric which is heavier than regular cotton and I will add batting rather than interfacing. I happen to be a quilter so I have lots of stuff !!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails