Saturday, August 20, 2011

Embroidered Transformers Onesies



My husband has lots of opinions about how our little boy will dress. He doesn't care for a majority of the boy clothing available in stores and I can't say I blame him. I can only take so much "Daddy's Allstar" and "Mommy's MVP" onesies.



One thing he mentioned would be "awesome" was Transformers onesies. We decided on one Autobots version and one Decepticons version.



I started by tracing the logos onto plain white computer paper with an ink pen. They were rough sketches.





I flipped the paper over and traced over my sketches with a ruler to get more crisp lines and edges so I could transfer the images onto the onesies. I like using computer paper for this because it is transparent enough to see through to the other side.





Next I used my fabric iron on transfer pen. You can get this in the notions aisle of Joanns or another craft store.





I used the transfer pen to trace over my final drawings.





I cut out the images and flipped them (iron transfer pen side down) onto my plain onesie and ironed over them per the pen instructions.





This is what it looked like when I was done ironing.



Note: Your image will appear mirrored once its ironed on...so if you need it to go a certain direction, make sure to draw it mirrored before you transfer it onto the fabric. In this case my images were symmetrical so it didn't matter beforehand.





Here are both onesies after they have been ironed:





Finally I ironed some lightweight interfacing to the inside of the onesie (only where the image was) and stitched over the lines with embroidery thread. My husband was the one who told me that the Autobot needed to be red and the Decepticon needed to be black. Who knew?





Price:



embroidery thread: $.50



2 onesies (from Walmart): $4.00



Total (for both): $4.50

3 comments:

  1. That.is.AWESOME!!!!!! Malachi saw them on my computer and said "are those mine?" I think I might have another project coming on. :) Loooooove it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! It is so hard to find unique boys clothing in stores.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails