Thursday, August 11, 2011

Spinach and Mozzarella Manicotti


A couple of nights a week I like to make a meatless dinner. One of my favorites is stuffed manicotti. It's a super easy and quick dinner that tastes great with a salad on the side.


Ingredients:


1 pkg manicotti shells $1.50


2 c shredded mozzarella cheese $1.50


1 container of ricotta cheese $1.67


3/4 c fresh spinach (coarsely chopped) $.50


2 eggs $.25


1 jar pasta sauce (I like the no sugar added version by Ragu) $1.50


salt, pepper, and dry (or fresh) oregano to taste


1. Pour 1 c of spaghetti sauce into bottom of 9x13 baking dish.


2. Boil your manicotti shells and let them cool (I lay them on wax paper for a few minutes).


While those are cooling:


3. Mix ricotta cheese, 1 c mozzarella cheese, eggs, spinach, and salt and pepper. I also add some dry or fresh oregano...depending on what I have available.


I choose to stuff my manicotti shells by slicing them open lengthwise.


4. Divide the cheese mixture among the opened manicotti shells, roll up, and place in baking dish (seam side down).


5. Cover with remaining sauce (this really depends on how much sauce you like on them...but I try to cover all of the noodles so that they don't burn in the oven).


6. Cover with remaining mozzarella and some more oregano if you prefer.


7. Bake (loosely covered) at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.


Total price (6-8 servings): $6.92


For our little family of three I cut this recipe in half and still have leftovers.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! We often eat meatless too but it certainly doesn't look this good!
    Thanks for visiting Saving4Six and commenting on my MANdatory Hallway Makeover. Yes, having boys is an adventure...always. They are precious gifts and although I struggle to keep up with them and their messes often, I want to savor every moment! Best Wishes on the upcoming arrival of your precious gift.
    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails