Monday, August 22, 2011

DIY Play Kitchen (from a nightstand)






I am finally getting around to posting the play kitchen my dad (and husband) and I made for my daughter! I am really ashamed at how long it has taken me to finish this. Oh well...it's done now, right?






I started with a nightstand that I got off craigslist for $5 and pulled the drawers out. Luckily there was a board between both drawers..so we didn't have to build one for the "oven" bottom. My dad took the front off one of the drawers and attached it to front of the nightstand with hinges at the bottom so it could swing down like an oven door.






The backing of the kitchen is just a large piece of wood with two smaller pieces nailed in through the back for shelves. My dad already had the wood in his scrap pile...but I also priced it at Home Depot for about $5.






Here is a view of the top. I used a wooden letter "J" from Joanns for the faucet and a round cake pan from the dollar store from the sink. I didn't want anything too deep, otherwise nothing would fit in the oven compartment. Also, here are the burners I showed earlier. The burner knobs were also made with pre cut round pieces of wood. I just layered them, glued them, and then cut pieces of a dowel to put down the center to make them look more like knobs. The faucet knobs were something I already had. All the knobs are attached through the bottom with a screw and a washer so that they can turn.











Remember these cups, saucers, and canisters? I love they way they look on the shelves:)











The nightstand had two drawers...so for the bottom part, we took the drawer out and I made a little curtain to go across it for storage. My daughter keeps her play food in there. I attached it on the sides with sticky velcro so that it can come off. I got the material while in California. I think it adds to the retro look of the kitchen.











Finally, on the inside of the "oven" we painted everything with silver paint:











I really love the way it turned out! My daughter loves playing with it too...so that makes me happy:) I am in the process of making her some more accessories to go with the kitchen for Christmas such as oven mitts and dish towels....but more on that later:)






Price:






nightstand: $5






spray paint (2 cans): $6.00






wood for burners and knobs: $3.50






letter "J" for faucet: $1.00






material for curtain: $1.50






cake pan for sink: $1.00






all other materials I already had






Total: $18.00





I'm linked to:





Sugar and Dots




Someday Crafts



Sew Much Ado


Tatertots and Jello

15 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! That is THE CUTEST thing ever!!!!! i can't tell you how much i love this!! i'll probably have to come back and look at it again and again. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the greatest! I am especially impressed with the sink, at first glance it looked real. Can't believe it's a J and a cake pan, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just love it! I have the same night stand from my childhood bedroom set...I so should have done this instead of buying her one from craigslist that it falling apart! Oh my goodness! Does she just love it!? Holy cow...no words...I just love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOoooooooooooo cute! Which I was this creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! I hope to make my girls something like this when we have more space. I love that you used a 'J' for the faucet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. I had to "pin" it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed with the sink, at first glance it looked real.

    Mr. Martial Arts

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the custest little kitchen ever! LOVE the detailing on the nightstand drawer. :) I am your newest follower. I found you on Tatertots and Jello. Would love for you to come check out my blog, if you'd like.

    http://domesticcharm.blogspot.com

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable! I'm sure any little girl would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this!!! It is so cute. I love the detail on the oven door. Such a great idea. I am going garage saleing this weekend and hope to come across a unique nightstand like this so I can make one for a friends little girl. I wish I had seen this before I started to build a play kitchen for my daughter.


    http://imperfektlyperfekt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so awesome. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness Melissa! You are AWESOME! So many cute ideas and for cheap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! This is so adorable! I've seen many around the internet, but your daughter's is the best! Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails