Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY Play Kitchen Part 1: Burners

While my dad is busy adding a large piece of wood to the back of the nightstand I have for my daughter's play kitchen (and making shelves for it)...I decided to get started on the pieces I needed to make.

I liked these burners of a KidKraft kitchen, so they were my inspiration:

I found thin 6" squares of wood at Joann's. I also found a bag of wood circles (21 pieces in different sizes).

I sanded down the edges of all the pieces and glued (with wood glue) a larger circle in the middle of the square piece:

Then, I glued another smaller circle in the middle of that:

I used square dowels for the burner pieces. I cut them the size I wanted for the corners:

Then, I cut down the inner edge so that they would lay flat over the circle piece:

I cut them with an exacto knife.

I glued on all the corner pieces:

Then I repeated the same process with smaller dowel pieces for the other parts of the burner:

Finally, I painted it all chrome and then the burners were painted black. I didn't paint all the pieces beforehand because I wanted to make sure they glued together well while the wood was still bare.

I can't wait to show you the plans I have for the knobs and the sink! I hope to have it painted by this weekend...but with the packing and such...I'm not sure if that will happen.

Price:

Wood squares: $1.00 (with 50% off coupon)

Wood Circles: $1.50 (with 50% off coupon)

Dowels: $.100

Total: $3.50

5 comments:

  1. This stove top is too cool! I can't wait to see the rest. Thanks for sharing.
    nativepride59

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I just wanted to say Thanks for the guide on making those burners. I basically followed your instructions for a gift for my daughter. Thanks for blogging it!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26057078@N04/6645088549/in/set-72157628740715677

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I used your idea to make the burners for the play kitchen I am making. But I'm curious to how you made the knobs. Would you mind sharing your helpful details. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tabitha!

    For the burner knobs, I took a few different sized circles (really thin wood ones) and layered them. Then I cut a square dowel to glue on top.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails