Thursday, June 10, 2010

Make a Bedskirt from a Flat Bedsheet

We don't use a flat sheet, but it is more expensive to buy a fitted sheet and pillowcases separately, so I just buy sheet sets with the flat sheet left over. In the past I have turned the matching sheet into curtains, but this sheet set was jersey knit...and I needed a bed skirt:)

1. Place the flat sheet on top of the box spring so that it is hanging down even on all sides.

2. Pin the sheet to the top and side of the box spring. This keeps it in place for when you cut.

Now you can use the flat sheet for the piece that fits on the box spring (that meshy material panel), but since I wanted some material left over to make another set of pillowcases, I took apart another bedskirt that I had purchase for $1. I cut off the ruffle part and used the meshy part for the new bed skirt.

So, in my picture I have the old panel on top of the flat sheet.

3. Cut from the corner of the sheet to the top of where your seam will eventually be at the top of the box spring. Repeat on the other corner.

4. Cut the flat sheet around the bed at the top of the box spring making measurements for a 1/2" seam allowance.

This is what it looks like all the way around after it has been cut.

6. Flip the front panel up and with right side down on the large piece, pin the edges together. Sew along the edge. I used a zig zag stitch.

7. Place back on the bed to make sure it drops at the right length. Repeat that process with the other two sides.

Here is the second side.

8. Once the third side is complete, place the bed skirt on the bed right side DOWN.

9. I wanted a sharp corner to the skirt, so I pulled both pieces of the corners together until it made a clean square corner. Pin and sew. Repeat on the other corner.

And you're done! As I was making this I realized it would have been much easier to use the whole flat sheet and complete step one of centering it on the box spring, and then skipping to step 3 of cutting a slit up the corners. Then you can skip to the final step of sewing the corner pieces together. I would have done that if I didn't want the rest of the fabric from the sheet. That would be like a 20 minute bed skirt!

Price:
bedskirt: $1.00
flat sheet: $3.00 -Prorated from the sheet set:)
Total: $4.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails