Monday, June 28, 2010

Pillowcase Challenge #2: Ruffle Tote

I found this flower tote at the craft store this week on clearance for $1.97...so I knew there was something I could do with it since the flowers on it weren't really my taste.

So I went through my fabric stash and found these solid colors that I thought would look good together as ruffles for the front of the bag. I am considering this #2 in my pillowcase challenge since two of the colors I used were from pillowcases:)

1. Assemble colors that you want for your ruffles. They can be solid or prints. I thought about throwing in the grayish purple in the picture below...but decided against it at the last minute.

2. Cut out strips that are double the length and double the width plus 1/2" of your finished ruffle. I wanted my ruffled 3" long when finished and so I cut them 6 1/2" long...and then only 27" inches wide because I didn't have enough of my fabric scraps for any more.

3. Fold the strip lengthwise with right sides together and sew up both short sides. I used a 1/4" seam so I wouldn't loose much on the length. Flip right side out and press the seams.

4. Fold the top of the ruffle down 1/2" and press.

5. Repeat with the rest of the ruffle strips.

6. Pin the ends of the ruffle strip to the ends of the bag and then the middle of the strip to the middle of the bag. This will help keep the strip even when you ruffle it on the sewing machine.

7. Sew to the top of the bag. To create a ruffle, gather the material as you go in even segments.

This was a little too much for my sewing machine...so without running the risk of breaking it...I cheated and glued on the rest of the ruffles:) Sewing would be a stronger way to go and will last longer...I just didn't want to push my machine too hard.

8. Under your top ruffle, measure out equal lines for your remaining ruffles. This will make it easier to keep your ruffles straight as you add them. Add your ruffles the same way you did your top ruffle.

I think I will use this bag for our weekly trip to the library:)

Price:

tote bag: $1.97

fabric: $1.00

Total: $2.97

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails