Monday, November 15, 2010

Minnie Mouse Christmas Ornament

Every year I like to make an ornament that reflects something our daughter did that year. Her first year we have a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament. The second year she got to meet Elmo at the local mall (an ornament is still in the works) and then this year we went to Disneyland...so of course we needed some sort of Disney ornament.

With all of the excitement while we were in California, I forgot to purchase an ornament in the park. Then when we got home I didn't see the purpose in spending so much on one from the Disney store if it wasn't from the actual park.

So...that left my last option....handmade!

Materials:

bobby pin (or paper clip)

Styrofoam balls (1 big, two small)

polka dot ribbon

craft rhinestone

black paint

hot glue gun

I found this Styrofoam snowman kit at Joann for $1. I used a coupon that was about to expire to make it a whole $.60!

Inside the kit was the perfect sized Styrofoam for Minnie's head:

1. I took my bobby pin and inserted it in the top of the largest ball. This is so can attach an ornament hook later.

You could also use a paper clip for this. In hindsight, I would have cut the bobby pin shorter so it didn't stick out so much.

2. I painted the ball black.

3. I took one of the smaller balls and cut a little bit off the bottom to give it a flatter surface for gluing to the larger ball.

4. I glued both of the smaller ones to the larger where the "ears" should be.

5. Then I painted the smaller ones black as well.

6. For the bow I cut some old polka dot ribbon I had.

7. I folded both ends into the center and glued them together.

8. I applied glue to the center and pinched the bow in half.

9. Finally I sealed the ornament with a little glossy Mod Podge, glued the bow on, and then glued a craft rhinestone on the center of the bow.

My daughter already loves it! She can't wait to put up our Christmas tree next week:)

This would even be cute if you wrote the year on the front or your child's initial! Or, how cute would it be to make a Mickey one with a top hat and a Minnie with a wedding veil for a newlywed couple?

I think I ended up liking my $.60 version better than any of the ones at the Disney Store:)

I'm linked to:

Tatertots and Jello

11 comments:

  1. That's adorable! We're going to Disney World next week and this would be fun to make when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea! I thinks this looks adorable too if our girls wear it as pendant

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's way better than the Disney Store ones...love it! :) It will be so fun to hang on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ABSOLUTELY love this!!! This is fantastic!!!

    I did a Disney Princess Collection (I'm still adding too it!) I LOVE DISNEY! Check it out on my blog http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    mucho love.
    nichelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are HUGE disney fans and this is just adorable!!! i'm going to share with some friends - they'll love your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're going to Disney World for Christmas this year. Our first time there during the holidays. Every time we go, we always get an ornament, but this one is much cuter than any in the stores...thanks for sharing!
    ~Karen~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, We Heart minnie mouse, i'd love to make some of these for christmas- can you tell me what size the balls were that you used. many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jemma,

    The large ball is a little over 2" in diameter and the small ones are just under 1" in diameter. Hope that help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks! and Christmas wishes from Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your ornament! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/minnie-mouse-ornament/

    If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails