Monday, May 17, 2010

Our Headboard Is Finally Finished!

I don't know how long ago I started this headboard...maybe a month? It has seemed like forever! Surprisingly, the embroidery was the fastest and easiest part...but after I have upholstered it twice...it is finally hanging on our wall!

Here is my awesome hubby making all the measurements to hang it for me...and Miss G. running around like crazy...as usual:)

I would love to say that this style was my idea...but it wasn't. I found the inspiration and directions here. I chose a different shape for our headboard and drew the design myself...so ours is still one of a kind:)

Since this was such a long project...I didn't take any pictures, but here are the steps I took to make our DIY headboard:

Materials:

piece of wood cut into desired shape.

batting (I got mine by the yard). You will want it about 6" longer all around

foam (I used an old egg crate mattress pad and glued it face down). This will be the size of your headboard.

fabric to cover headboard. Also make this 6" longer all the way around. (I used a muslin to embroider on. I am sure you can use anything with a tighter weave...I just liked the texture of it and it was cheap.)

yarn and yarn needle (I used Red Heart black)

embroidery hoop

spray glue

staple gun or hot glue gun

mirror hangers

1. Decide the size and shape you want. We have a queen bed and I wanted a rectangle shape...so I decided on 36" x 60". Make sure you can find fabric to cover the size you want too.

2. Draw out your design on the fabric if you want to embroider. I laid my fabric on top of the wood and centered it and then drew on the design so I knew how to scale it. I drew mine on with a black marker since I knew I would embroidered large stitches over it. Now embroider the design. I used a chain stitch.

3. First attach the foam to the board. I used spray glue.

4. Now lay your fabric right side down and then place the batting on top. Lay down the board with the foam on it and position it so it is lined up how you want it.

5. Staple or glue (I had to use a hot glue gun because the staples weren't going into the wood) the centers of all four sides and turn around to make sure it is centered.

6. Continue pulling slightly (not too much or it will distort the pattern) and stapling every 2-3". Fold in the corners like you would when wrapping a present.

7. Now use mirror hanging hardware (I got ours at Target since Lowe's was more expensive) to hang it on the wall.

Now enjoy your one-of-a-kind headboard:)

Price:

wood: free (my dad had it at work...but the IKEA "as is" section is a great place!)

batting: $2.00 (half off by the yard at JoAnn)

foam: $2.00 (old egg crate mattress topper)

material: $3.96

yarn: $2.00

mirror hangers: $4.88 ( I got the 5" one that holds up t0 60lbs)

TOTAL: $14.84

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you got your nightstands painted too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to try and send me another pic...for some reason this one is too dark for me to see...may be my monitor! I've been waiting to see your completed project!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails