Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ruffle Summer Shorts

My friend and I were at the mall today and I saw this idea for ruffled shorts with a matching belt...and I knew it had to be one of my next projects! So here is my version:

I bought these shorts for my daughter at the thrift store because I loved the color...but then I realized I didn't have anything to match them...so by adding some fabric with a few more colors...there are more outfit possibilities:)

1. Start by measuring the leg holes of the shorts. You will want to make your ruffle strips twice as long as that measurement and twice as wide as you want the finished ruffle to be. My leg measurement was 15" and I wanted the finished ruffle to be 1", so my strips were 30" long and 2" wide.

2. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with WRONG sides facing and sew down one side with a straight stitch. I didn't worry about turning it right side out because I knew I was going to sew the ruffle to the inside of the shorts.

3. Sew a basting stitch along the same long side as your first stitch. You can do this on your machine by setting it to a straight stitch on the longest stitch setting...do NOT back stitch. You can also do this with a needle.

4. Pull (gently) on the bobbin thread until you get the desired amount of ruffles. It's easiest to work one side to the middle and then start on the other side. I made my finished ruffle the length of the leg hole plus 1/2"...so it was 15 and 1/2 inches total. Do the same for the other ruffle strip.

5. Pin the raw edge of the ruffle to the inside of the leg starting at the inseam of the shorts. Pin it so the ruffle sticks out as far as you want.

6. Now sew a straight stitch around the leg hole. I used a contrasting thread since I didn't have any in the same color as the shorts.

This is what it should look like when turned right side out. Now follow the same pinning and sewing steps for the other ruffle strip.

Now you have two ruffles on the bottom...so we are on the make the matching belt.

I took a fabric measuring tape and tied it around the top of the shorts so I knew how long to make the strip. Add 2" to the length. Now to determine the width, I just measured the width of the belt loops and doubled it. So my original measurements were 29" long and 1" wide, so my strip for the belt was 31" x 2".

7. Fold the strip lengthwise with right sides facing and sew down the long side with a straight stitch. Turn right side out and press with an iron.

8. Fold down the end of the strip 1/2" and then another 1/2" and sew closed. Repeat for the other side of the strip. Put it through the belt loops and you are done!

(I know the pink shirt doesn't match...I couldn't find one of her white ones...so for the sake of the picture...just go with it.)

Price:

shorts: $.50

material: $.25

TOTAL: $.75

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could just look at something and then just go home and make it!! You are just so talented!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails