Friday, May 21, 2010

Target Inspired Ruffle Bow Dress

I saw this dress in the toddler section at Target...and I knew I had to make it! So I went home and got out one of my handy pillowcases (I can't help but stock up on them for $.50!).

Here is my version:

Materials:

pillowcase or 1/2 yard of fabric

matching thread

single fold bias tape (mine was 1/2" wide)

Instructions:

1. Start by drawing cutting out the shape of your dress. I took an A-line dress of my daughter's that she already had. I cut 1/2" wider all the way around.

2. With right sides facing, sew the tops of the straps and up the sides (leaving the neck, arms, and bottom open)

3. Open up your bias tape and pin it to the front edge of the neckline. Start in the back of the neckline.

4. Sew a straight stitch on the crease of the bias tape.

5. Fold the bias tape bake up (to the way it was before you opened it up) and fold it to the inside of the neckline. Pin and sew around the edge. This is what it will look like from the inside.

5. Repeat that process with each arm hole and the bottom of the dress.

6. Now to make the ruffles and the bow. Cut out strips of fabric that are about double the length and width that you want your final ruffle to be. My strips were 2"x20".

7. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with right sides facing and sew up both long sides.

7. Turn right side out and press with an iron. Fold in the edges 1/4" and sew.

8. Now to make the bow, sew another strip using the same directions as above. I made this strip only 10" long though since I didn't need as much for the bow. You do want the width to be the same as the tails of the bow.

9. Fold the strip in on one side and then on the other to create the width that you want for the bow.

10. Sew the center of the bow (catching the end in the center). Cut off the rest of the strip.

11. Take the rest of the strip and wrap it around the center of the bow once, sewing it in place by hand in the back so you can't see the seam from the front.

12. Now to attach the ruffles and bow to the dress, take one of the long strips and pin it at the top of the dress where your bow will eventually be. You can have it come down the center if you want, but I liked it on the side like the one I saw at Target.

Pin it at the top and then pin the bottom where you want it to end. Leave the strip loose so you have quite a bit to be able to ruffle on the sewing machine.

13. Sew the strip onto the dress with a straight stitch down the middle of the strip, gathering it as you go to create a ruffle.

14. Do the same with the other ruffle strip.

15. Pin the bow over the top of the ruffles and either sew onto the dress by hand, or with the machine like I did. I sewed straight down the middle of each side of the bow. I thought it gave the bow a little more dimension...and might hold up better with my 2 year old wearing it:)

And you're done! Another pillowcase turned into a cute summer dress. Also while I was on the Target website, I saved some pictures of some other dresses I will have to try...

This ruffle bow could be added to so many things! A shirt, a purse...whatever!

Price:

pillowcase: $.50

bias tape: $.25

TOTAL: $.75

6 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [22 May 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! And look...you are getting more and more famous every day! What are you going to do when she doesn't fit in a pillowcase anymore?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you show me how can I caculate the neckline to make sure that will fit through head of the kid? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it...funny side note...I actually bought that exact pink dress from target for $1 on clearance with the intentions of using it for another project :) BUT I love your version of it WAY better, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this tutorial.. will be oon my to do list this summer. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails