Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Best Friend in the Kitchen

I have been the laziest blogger lately! Not just a lazy blogger...but a lazy person as well.


A lot has happened in the last two weeks. For starters I turned 25. Yes...25. I am no longer in the fun and cute 18-24 category, but whatevs. I like who I am now rather than who I was 5 years ago:) For starters I couldn't cook a meal to save my life when I got married 5 years ago. It was bad...very bad. So, one thing I know I will pass onto my children is how to make their own meals at home...and meals from real ingredients...no boxed junk. That's not food.


I'm also heading into my 9th week of pregnancy and the last 5 have kicked my butt. I am still SO grateful to be pregnant...it's just not always easy to remember how grateful when every smell makes me want to puke. The morning sickness is FINALLY getting better! My family is happy because I can start making them meals again without weird faces when I bring it to the table;)


So, allow me to introduce my very best friend in my kitchen. It's small, inexpensive, but by far one of the best kitchen appliances out there. The GT Xpress 101:



No, I haven't time warped back 7 years ago when this info commercial was on...but I did really want this when I saw it on TV for the first time. My mom and I actually almost bought them off TV when they offered the "buy one get one free" offer in the next 30 seconds...only to find out that it would still have been $80 for two of them...uh no.


So, time has been on my side and eventually these gadgets made their way into the thrift stores. I scored my first one a few years ago at a vintage shop and it still had the tags on it for $10. Once I got it home...I was in love.


This thing is beyond versatile, but my favorite thing to do is make breakfast with it. The pancakes come out super fluffy, and there is no watching or flipping involved! I just close the lid and go on my merry way. Its also great for customizing each item. My husband likes sausage in his pancakes (thank you Man v. Food) and I was having a major craving for some chocolate chips in mine. In three minutes we were both satisfied!



Yeah...it was amazing:)



I also love cooking eggs in this. I just beat up two eggs and pour them into the wells. Then I add whatever each person wants. So, for these I added some more turkey sausage, diced frozen onions, and some shredded cheese on top. Close the lid and I have fluffy eggs in 5 minutes! Best of all...no dirty skillet and no egg smell! Hooray!




I know this is a random gadget to own, but keep your eyes open next time you are at your local thrift store. This thing is definitely worth the money. It doesn't require me to heat up my stove top or burn my already freakishly large pregnant belly by standing by a hot range. I make so much stuff in it each week and its such a time saver, plus it doesn't heat up my house like my oven would...and that's helpful when we get up to 118 degrees in the summer.


The downside to this product? Everything comes out in the shape of a half-moon, or a "butt" when you put the two pieces together (you can thank my husband for that reference)...but (no pun intended) I don't care;) It makes preparing breakfast for the week SO easy. I made 16 pancakes and 2 eggs in 25 minutes! Breakfast is done for the week and all I have to do is pop these in the toaster when the family wakes up:)



What's your favorite kitchen gadget or secret?

9 comments:

  1. Wow, now I really feel like I need one of those things. I guess I know what to keep my eye open for this garage sale season!

    I'm so happy to hear you're expecting, I'll definitely be keeping you and your new little one in my prayers, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh what a wonderful present! and what a fantastic idea making a whole bunch to pop in the toaster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a handy gadget! I think I owe you for the 2nd one, though... :-) Your row of pancakes look very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite the gadget! I've seen them on TV before and wondered if they were really as wondeful as they say they are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that is so cool!!!!! my fave gadget is my as seen on tv magic bullet!!!! i do everything from chop chicken and make smoothies w/ it. like you said, it's fast!

    isn't is amazing how quickly you start showing during the 2nd pregnancy? i was a good 5 months along before my belly began to grow the 1st time. i was in maternity clothes in my 1st trimester the 2nd time around!!! glad everything is going well!!

    ~jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um... yum! We have a penguin shaped waffle maker that is just the cutest thing EVER! I haven't seen them outside of Australia but you can check. I've used the add water and shake pancake mix in it and it turns out just fine. And they are so cute! Edible penguins! :D

    http://www.coolcreations.com.au/woddles/product_info.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally want this now!! Does the metal part come out? Like is it easy to clean?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came across your blog...love it. I am so excited to try this gadget out for breakfasts for my family of 5! I found it on amazon for $4 and it was $12 s+h, not too bad of a price! Just ordered it and can't wait to play around with it. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also like to know how easy it is to clean.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails