Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mini Cinnamon Rolls

Here is my first felt food creation! I didn't start out wanting to make them "mini" size, but it kind of just happened. I was inspired by this tutorial and when I went out to buy my felt...I just bought the 9x12 sheets...not the felt by the yard, thus making my cinnamon rolls smaller. It ended up being the perfect size for my toddler's little hands anyways...so it all worked out!

Materials:

tan felt and brown felt (2 9x12 pieces of each color to make 4 rolls)

iron

hot glue gun (or fabric glue)

needle and thread (optional)

1. Start by cutting your felt lengthwise in half. No measuring here...I just folded and cut.

2. Fold in your strip 1/3 of the way and iron. Don't let the iron stay on the felt too long or it will burn it. I just dabbed it to keep a crease for gluing later.

3. Fold down other side 1/3 of the way and iron.

I just realized how embarassing it is that I don't have a real ironing board:) Oh well...a towel on the kitchen counter works just as well!

4. Repeat with all the remaining pieces of felt. So you should have 4 brown strip and 4 tan strips.

5. Go back and hot glue (or fabric glue) the flaps down to secure them. I used hot glue cause I am impatient:)

This is after they have been glued.

6. Place your tan strip down (with seam facing up towards you) and place the brown strip on top of it (also with seam facing up). Place the brown strip about 1" to the right of the tan strip. This makes it easier for rolling.

7. Glue the end of the tan strip and roll it up onto the brown strip like so:

8. Continue to glue and roll. I glued about every 1" or so.

9. When you get to the end, cut off the brown strip so that it is about 1" shorter than the tan strip like so:

10. Glue the brown strip down and then glue the tan strip down. Seal up your edges with more glue if necessary. You could also run a stitch across the edges...but I didn't find it necessary.

Repeat with the other strips and you have 4 cinnamon rolls! They look a little plain though...

There...that's better:) I added a little white puff paint for the "icing"

I forgot to show this, but the cinnamon rolls looked a little to flat to me, so before adding the icing, I pushed up on the centers from the bottom of the roll to make it look like they had "risen" in the center.

Oh, and don't tell your 2yr old that you are putting on "icing" because when you leave the kitchen to let them dry...she will scale the counter to try said icing:) Yup, true story. She came out of the kitchen with a dab of white paint on the edge of her lip and informed me that the cinnamon rolls were "nasty".

So after checking to make sure it was non toxic, a wipe off of the tongue, and water...I let the cinnamon rolls sit (far out of sight!) to dry:)

2 comments:

  1. cuuuuute!!! Love them! I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones to try eat weird things like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness these will be so cute for my daughter for Christmas! What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails