Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Flat Sheet Curtains

I wanted some neutral curtains for our bedroom and I found some flat bedsheets on sale at WalMart for $3 (twin size). All I needed was a twin for my window, but you could use any size sheet for your windows. The full flat sheet was only $6 so you can't go wrong! They also have about 12 colors to choose from.

I got a white one for our curtains and a gray one for pillowcases.

I told the cashier that I was going to make curtains out of them and she said, "You can do that?"...and I said, "Well, I guess so because I'm going to!" :) I love sharing crafty ideas!

Materials:

flat bed sheet

matching thread

iron

1. Fold your sheet lengthwise or if you can remember being in 1st grade, fold it like a hot dog:) Pin the edges so that it will stay together when you flatten it out.

2. Flatten out your folded sheet. I found it easiest to drape it over my bed.

3. Cut along your fold. Now you should have two long panels.

4. Starting with your long side, fold in the raw edge 1/2" and press with your iron, then fold it in another 1/2" and pin. Sew in place with a straight stitch.

5. Now on the top of the sheet where the larger fold is, fold that section in half and pin. Make sure your curtain rod can fit through that space. If not, than adjust your measurements accordingly. Sew with a straight stitch.

If you are going to clip your curtains into curtain hooks...then skip this step.

6. Place your panel on your curtain rod to see how much you need to hem it. Sheets work great if you want your curtains hung up high by the ceiling. Measure how much you need to cut off and hem.

7. Cut off the amount you need. Remember to leave enough for your seam allowance. I left 1 1/2" for a seam allowance.

8. Fold in your bottom edge 1/2" and then another 1" and pin. I wanted the bottom hem to be a little thicker to give it a little more weight. Sew with a straight stitch.

Hang it and repeat the same process with your other panel. Before you hem the bottom of the second panel, hang it up while it is pinned just to make sure both panels match. Oh yeah...and press all the wrinkles out too.

And that's it! I have done this before with the flat sheet in a sheet set because we never use it. Instant matching curtains without paying any extra money!

Total price: $3.00

1 comment:

  1. Very much impressive tutorial; well this is wonderful idea to reuse your flat bed sheets to make them your window curtains.
    Thanks for everything that you share step by step tutorial to teach all of us to make your own homemade flat bed sheets windows curtains.
    Keep it up Melissa!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails