Friday, August 27, 2010

Pier 1 Knock Off

I recently spotted this Pier 1 plate wall hanging on their website and I really wanted it. So I looked online to see if I could find it for cheaper than $79.95...with no such luck. I even went into Pier 1 hoping there might be one with a chip that they would sell me for cheaper:) But once I saw it in the store...it wasn't really the colors I was looking for. I went to Kirklands and they had a lot of great plate decor too...just much smaller and still about $40. So, I racked my brain for a few days wondering how I could recreate this on the cheap.



On one of my many trip to the dollar store...there were these white chargers with a fun dot border, so I thought, "Why not paint my own plates?" So I left the store with 4 chargers and 4 mini plastic plates (2 for $1)

First, I primed the orange plastic plates. I just used a regular white primer I already had...but if I ever did this again, I would buy the plastic spray paint for a better adhesion.

What took the longest in my planning was how to get the embossed look on plastic plates. I could have just painted a design on them...but I wanted some pop. Then I decided that puff paint would add the perfect dimension.

So I free handed different designs on each plate after I primed them. If you are not comfortable doing this, then simply draw on a design and trace it with your paint:) I liked that if I messed up, I could just wipe it off and start again.

Here are my chargers:

Next, I just painted the plates with acrylic paint. Here is one after the first coat. Each plate took about three coats.

To give the "embossed" design some pop...I mixed the color of the plate with about a pea size of brown to make it just a tad darker. Then I painted on the design with a eye shadow brush.

My next step was to seal the plates. I went to the store to just get clear spray paint, when I discovered that Krylon makes glaze in a spray can! Woo-hoo!

Here is my plate after one coat of the glaze. I just did one coat on each to make sure it would last for the whole project. I did not want to run back to the store for more spray glaze!

It's crazy how it really made the plates look ceramic!

OK...so I don't have any helpful pictures of how I put this together. I know, right? My dad mainly did most of it...while I watched and offered to help:)

What we did was arrange the plates on the table face down and then he took thin (about 1/2" thick) wood and we glued them down on the back of the plates with JB Weld. Then he took silicone and filled in the gaps along the sides of the wood to make it super sturdy.

I know this picture is terrible (it's off my non-iPhone), but I just HAD to take it! After applying the JB Weld, my dad wanted something to hold down the wood while it dried...and after looking all over the dining room...he could only think of his gun to weigh it down! Such a dad thing!

So after the back was dried, we flipped it over and my dad mixed together some more JB Weld and we glued the little plates to the front. And that's it!

I have to say I really love my Pier 1 knock off:) I had a hard time deciding how to arrange it. All the ones I have seen in the store are not symmetrical...but I am such a symmetrical person...that it only felt right:)

I love all the color it brings to the space. I typically on decorate in black and white...but I love all the colors:) I can't decide if it needs a little plate in the center too. I dunno...I will let it sit for a while.

Price:

4 chargers: $4

4 mini plates: $2

spray glaze: $2.97

puff paint: $1

Total: $9.97-Hooray for saving $60!

I am linked to:

Tatertots and Jello

Tea Rose Home

33 comments:

  1. My mom has a wall hanging like this at her house. She purchased hers at the Pottery Barn. It's a little expensive for me though. I love that you were able to make your own. And it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Honk! This is awesome! I love how you made the designs on them before you painted them! Beautiful! I am will feature this tonight at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gracious! Are you kidding me? That is gorgeous! What a fabulous job you did! GORGEOUS!!! Great job! I love the way you did the embossing part. I would've never thought of that. I'm so impressed!!! Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It turned out great. These pictures really show how awesome the embossing is! I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! I love the way it came out and I remember liking the pier 1 one too, this is much more affordable and adorable! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I remember when Pier 1 featured that wall hanging... I loved it. My mom bought it for me for my birthday and I had to return it because it didn't fit on my wall. I was bummed. Your version is so lovely... you may have inspired me to make my own! I'm visiting from Tatertots and Jello and now following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I'll take one for Christmas! :D j/k Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous!! I have a similar piece that I found at Christmas Tree Shop, but it's all metal. I like yours even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Such talent! I am especially impressed by the designs you made with the puffy paint. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is gorgeous! i think it looks perfect as it. the picture of your dad's gun totally made me chuckle!

    great job and creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! You did a great job - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally made it on here! I love it, too...like everyone else! You really free-handed all that! You're amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. My word, I love this! Saw you on Someday Crafts and had to stop by. I love your symmetrical version WAY more than any of the other versions. And the price tag is much nicer, too! I honestly can't believe you freehanded those designs. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I think there is no need for a plate in the centre. This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a great job. How creative are you! And I love that your dad used his gun...lol. That is a dad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! That puff paint was pure genious!!! These are amazing, you did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I think your wall decoration looks amazing. I love it! Thanks for sharing this great idea. I will be linking to your great project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cool! Great job, and way to get the puffy paint for the pop! I saw you on Be Different, Act Normal, and I just had to click to see how you got the design on them. They look great!

    Jen
    www.justforrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how this turned out! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! I love the colors and how you put them together! Thank you for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely amazing. I have seen these in the store, too. You were so smart using the puff paint and the finish that made them look ceramic. I would really like to make one of these. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you tell me the brand of paint and colors you used, because I love this exact palatte.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, your "Pier 1 Knock Off" made this week's Top 5 Hits at Singing With Birds! Come check it out, grab a button if you'd like, and thanks for sharing such a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible!!! I love it for a variety of reasons. This is really, really a great project.

    Found you from Gnee's shout out this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am SO in love with this!! You are a genius for figuring out how to do all that with the puff paint and everything! I am SO adding this to my MUST DO list!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this! You are brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome! I am going to start looking around for some plates.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your blog! I wouldn't change a thing. It is perfect! I would love to have that hanging on my wall. Great job!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OK. So I know I'm commenting on your post about a million years after the fact, but I had to let you know how much I love your project. Great job. At first I thought the first picture on your blog (which is the piece you created) was what you were trying to knock-off. I thought the one YOU created was the Pier One piece. The fact is, I like yours better! Great color choices. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails