Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DIY: Fabric Scrap Map


When I saw this map idea...I knew I had to make my own version. I made this map before Jack was born and finally got around to framing it. I used an Ikea frame that I found at Goodwill, and matted it with posterboard.

FABRIC SCRAP MAP
1 large piece of fabric (mine was 20x27)
Scrap fabric
United States template (I found a blank map on Google and blew it up to print it out)
Heat N' Bond
Iron
STEP 1: Print out map and cut out each state.
STEP 2: Iron fabric scraps onto one side of Heat N' Bond per the package instructions.
STEP 3: Trace each state's template onto paper side of Heat N' Bond fabric scraps.
(REMEMBER: When tracing the states, the image will be mirrored once you iron it on...so make sure to trace each state backwards, so that it will face the right way once ironed together)
STEP 4: Iron on each state to your large piece of fabric in order, starting with California first, and working your way east.
OPTIONAL: You can also stitch down the edges of each state. I chose not to since my map was on the smaller size. I also framed it under plastic, so I'm not worried about it falling apart over time.

I'm so excited to have this project done. Within the first 5 minutes of putting it up, my daughter was asking the names of every state (while also telling me what other projects I have made with the same fabric.)


Have a lovely Wednesday!

I'm linked to:

Tatertots and Jello


The Southern Institute

16 comments:

  1. Love your map! The mix of colors and patterns is really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I loved this idea! I was so keen, I gave it a go with the British Isles today! I've just put a picture up on my blog if you'd like to see it :-)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful project! I love it. I found you through the link party at Tatertots and Jello and am now following you. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable....... visiting you via TT&J......I'd like to invite you to link up at CountryMommaCooks we are having a giveaway..... have a wonderful weekend : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! And I'd love to add it to the accessories section of my blog! Just email me a quick OK and I'll let you know when its up. PlayfulDecor (at) gmail (dot) com. Have a great weekend! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too cute! I used fabric scraps once like this and stitched it to a tote bag. I like this idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this same project, and loved how mine turned out. I got the idea from, seekatesew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project! It came out beautiful! I haven't ever seen another version, so I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! This is incredible! The prettiest I've seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fact that you used old scraps...so smart! I am going to try this on a large scale with a map of Westeros (yes, I'm a nerd and going to make a Game of Thrones map)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I admire uou for having the patience to cut out each state :). Thaks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah I absolutely love this! (I'm from England) I want one for my bedroom :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want one of these, but don't have the time to make one. Do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't currently sell anything I make on the blog:(

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails