Monday, November 19, 2012

A Vintage Motorcycle Birthday

Jack's first birthday party was this weekend and we had a great time!
 
Such a great time, in fact, that I forgot to take pictures of all the treats and favors I made! Oh well, it was such a fun day and we had a blast celebrating our little man.
 
I've mentioned before that motorcycles are kinda a big deal in our home. My husband used to be a Harley mechanic and now teaches the subject for a living. He also owns a Harley...so it was obvious that the birthday theme would have something to do with motorcycles. We compromised and decided to go with a vintage motorcycle theme.
 
I made this sign in Photoshop and we stapled it to a wooden stake:
 

 
 
On the dessert table I had chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, cookie dough truffles, cheesecake truffles, and s'mores...all on popsicle sticks. I wrote the name of each treat on the popsicle stick like these treats from Bakerella. I used a plastic table cloth as the backdrop and printed out the monthly pictures I've been taking of Jack to string up. I made the "one" letters in Photoshop as well and used mini clothespins to hang everything up. I also used up some left over scrapbooking paper to make confetti:

 
Mmmm...cupcakes. I used box mixes for the cupcakes and classic Wilton buttercream for the icing. I got a lot of compliments on both and they tasted pretty close to a bakery cupcake.

 
I made brunch since the party was early in the day and it was a hit! Not only was it a cheap option to feed a large crowd...but it appealed to both the parents and the children.
 
I cut down paper straws to fit in the cups and printed out a "fuel up" sign. I saw that idea on Pinterest;)

 
We already had this vintage Harley metal sign, so I propped it up in a stand and framed Jack's 1 year old picture in a frame I already had for the food table.



 
 
Instead of making games for the kids, I set up a cookie decorating station for them outside. It was so much fun and something I will definitely do again. I couldn't resist driving a little out of my way to the cake supply store for this motorcycle cookie cutter! It's all about the small details, right? I also made the "customize your ride" sign in Photoshop.

 
I made a little paper bunting for the front of the highchair:
 
 
I kept the smash cake simple and color free! Ha! I made a small double layer 6" cake and used my star decorating tip to frost it.
 


The kids went home with homemade chocolate motorcycle suckers and each family got a goody bag with flap "jack" mix and a box of Cracker Jacks. (will post those photos later).
 
It was such a great day and we all slept really well when it was over! I can rest for a few months until the Little Miss has her birthday in the spring;)

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow - it looks absolutely perfect! Can you throw a motorcycle party for me too? Not for my birthday, just because this looks awesome and I need some flapjacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you really outdid yourself, again...and I really missed it, again. Looks great...I'm very sad I wasn't there, Grandson. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your awesome themed b-day parties! I will never be able to compete - so don't judge me when the time comes LOL! I LOVE Jack's bib and I love all the favors and ideas! Just great! Sure daddy appreciated the theme too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails