Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY: Advent Calendar

I've never been consistent with the yearly Christmas advent calendar. The wooden ones in the store are cute...but I don't want to pack one...or try to find little things to fit in the spaces (it just leads to more little things to find between the couch cushions or to step on in the middle of the night, right?).
 
This year I decided I would do an activity themed calendar, filled with things we can do as a family. 
 
 
Oh, and did you notice I only have 20 cards in my calendar? Well, I decided to do a few less, that way if we miss a day...it's all good. (Plus, I only had 20 clothespins...so win, win.)
 
I made these cards in Photoshop, folded them in half, and wrote down 20 different things we can do as a family. I used an old frame and strung them on yarn taped to the back. Most of our activities cost little to no money.
 
Some examples are:
 
-have a slumber party in the living room
-write letters to family members telling them what we love most about them
-watch a Christmas movie
-pick a child off the Angel Tree at church and shop for them
-have dinner out on the patio
-get hot chocolate at a cafe'

 
I'm really looking forward to our month of family activities and teaching our children that it's not about opening a present every day...but about being together as a family and giving to others.
 
Happy Tuesday!
 



7 comments:

  1. This is so cute -- and I love that it's not all about presents! I may have to do this myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the activity idea! I especially like the letter activity! The new Christmas stamps are looking very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fabulous. You inspired me to make my own advent calendar :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have inspired me! I really love this idea. For photoshop - what if someone doesn't have photoshop (like me)? Are there pictures on the back of the card??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't need photoshop:) You could print out the letters using a fun font on your computer and then I folded the cards in half and wrote each activity in the center by hand. I hope that answered your question:)

      Delete
  5. You have a new reader here via Pinterest! Love your blog and your crafty ideas!

    Very inspired by you!!

    http://thepinteresthousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails