Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Baby Clothes Quilt: Part 1

Today has been a doozie. Ever have one of those days when you and your toddler are fighting so much, your husband has to step in and separate you both? No? Just me I guess.

How about one of those days when you threaten to take away everything your child owns if they jump on the couch (or roll their eyes) one more time? Still just me? Now I think you're lying.

Anyways, I finished the first step of my daughter's baby clothes quilt. Behold...256 hand cut 5" squares (I'm not cool enough to own a rotary board and cutter) and 60 half squares:

I was going to use the half squares in her quilt somehow (they are the scraps and arm sleeves that were too small to make real squares)...but I have enough for her quilt. So, I decided to take the little squares and make myself a blanket that I get to keep.

I did a mock layout last night. I don't love it yet. I like the center...but not the outer edge. I can't decide if I want to have all the colors fade into one another like a rainbow...or just make it random. I thought about making my mini quilt first to see how I want her big one to look.

Oh well, I am at least proud that I got it all cut up. That was a accomplishment in itself! Halfway through I was cursing myself for not being cool enough to have a rotary blade or mat...and also no real sewing scissors...just mini dollar store ones.

My next step is ironing on interfacing to some of the knit fabrics.

Does anyone have any quilting or design suggestions? I would love to see anyone's version of a clothes quilt!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, my husband has to separate me and the child(ren) some days. He just picks them up and quietly leaves the room! And some days I threaten to throw everything they own out because I'm SICK of picking up toys! So, no, it's not just you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my quilt that I'm working on I grouped the colors together (purples, blues, pinks, yellows, ect.) and made squares out of them and than sewed them all together to form my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Do you have a paper cutter? mine works great on cutting fabric squares/rectangles.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails