Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ruffle Fleece Pillow

So, I have learned recently that I might be addicted to fleece ruffles. They are so easy and comfy...I love them!

I made two throw pillows for the couch last night (I know...it was exhausting) and this was my smaller accent one. I found this mustard yellow fleece remnant at Joann's for $1...so how could I not buy it?

Materials:

fleece (I think my remnant was 1/2 yard for a 14" pillow)

matching thread

1. Cut out your panel pieces for your pillow 1/2" bigger than you want the finished size to be. My pieces were 14 and 1/2".

(Sorry for the upcoming photos. I live in a cave...plus I always craft at night...plus our apartment is 800 sq ft...it's a terrible combination!)

2. For your ruffle strips, cut strips the width you want (mine were 2") and double the length of the pillow (mine were about 30").

3. Mark the middle of panel piece and pin that mark at the top and bottom (this helps keep the ruffle straight as you sew).

4. Ruffle the strip down the middle of the panel.

(You can see how I ruffle on the machine HERE.)

Also, sew the ends of the ruffle strip down to make it easier to sew to the back panel later.

5. Repeat with the other two strips on either side of your middle strip.

6. With right sides of your front and back panel facing, sew around the edge with a 1/2" seam...leaving an opening to flip it right side out..

7. Stuff and sew the opening closed.

Pretty easy right? I love material that doesn't need the edges finished...makes my lazy approach to sewing just that much easier!

This pillow cost me $1.00 since I already had the thread and the stuffing was from an old pillow of my couch. I can't wait to show you my other pillows soon!

I'm linked to:

Sew Much Ado

Sugar and Dots

Tatertots and Jello

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I've never bought fleece before, now I have a reason to hoard the stuff. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just made a little fleece blanket and had a huge thing of material left over... NOW I know what I wanna do with it!!! :) I would love for you to link this to Fancy This Fridays! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com
    And check out your link on my sidebar under Dying to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and perfect for winter! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Very classic design. Beautiful. Nice color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love this pillow! I have tried ruffles, I have a terrible time with them, I can't seem to get them to come out looking even and nice.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comments about my market tote. :)

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  6. this turned out so pretty! I am with you on the fleece lately! I just made myself a fleece dress. I love it. Its so warm and fuzzy. I would love for you to link this up to my Sew Crafy Party and Giveaway!

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/sew-crafty-saturday-adventure-date.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am running to Joann's right away to see if I can find the same fleece in mustard! I love how the fleece gives it the extra comfy dimension yet it's still so ruffly sweet!

    www.poppiesandpoetry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. this would look perfect on my couch :)


    Please come by and link this to my party!

    WWW.TOOTSIEWOOTSIEBOUTIQUE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    And i have a great Giveaway going one for ITHINKSEW.COM!


    -THE TOOTSIE WOOTSIE :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pillow -- it's the perfect combination with style and comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I love these, adorable! I use a lot of fleece too, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails