Friday, January 7, 2011

Easy Mongolian Pork

This is one of my "go to" recipes when the hubs and I want Chinese food...but don't want to spend the money (or the calories) on a restaurant...or more commonly...when we don't want to pack a change of clothes and a potty seat for a toddler...

SO...I start with a Mongolian beef seasoning mix and a stir fry vegetable mix from the frozen section. I like this deluxe one from Walmart. It is by far the best one we have had. It has real huge chunks of vegetables.

I've mentioned before how I don't like to use seasoning packets often because they aren't the healthiest. In this case...I make the exception since I don't make it often. You could even just mix the beef and vegetables without the sauce mix and come up with your own healthier alternative:)

You could make this with thin steak...but my husband and I love it with thin boneless pork chops.

First, I cut the pork chops (I use three) in bite size strips and brown them in a dutch oven.

Next, I add the frozen vegetables. I don't thaw them first...I just throw them in frozen with about a 1/4c of water and put the lid on until they are tender. I add water as I need it.

Finally, I mix up the seasoning packet and stir it into the pork and veggies.

You could eat this as is...but we like it over brown rice.

I love this meal. Its so crazy cheap and easy...but it tastes so close to restaurant quality. Definitely a must have recipe for a date night indoors.

Price:

boneless pork chops: $2.50

frozen vegetables: $1.80

stir fry mix: $.70

Total: $5.00

1 comment:

  1. I've got the veggies in my freezer and the pork in the frig...I think you've reminded me what we're having for supper! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails