Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Backpack Redo with Ruffles




It's summer time...so that means we are out an about hoping from place to place before the weather gets too unbearable here. It's still in the high 90s here and I am lovin' it! So, with being in and out of the car, it's easiest just to pack my daughter a backpack with a change of clothes and a lunch for our afternoon out.




I found this small backpack at the thrift store a while back for $.99. I wanted a mini one for my daughter so that I didn't have to tote around all her summer stuff in my purse, but I also wanted it small enough that she can carry it herself.




It was the perfect size...but blue...and boring.







So, I went into my fabric stash (which is dwindling these days) and pulled out some fun fabrics that matched the backpack and also each other. I also pulled out some ribbon to use for one of my ruffles.







In order to make sure my fabric would be long enough after being ruffled (?), I cut out strips that were double the width and length of the final size that I wanted.




With right sides facing, I folded the strip in half lengthwise and sewed up one long side:







I now had an inside out tube..so I flipped it right side out and ruffled it on my machine. To see how I ruffle fabric on my machine click HERE. (PS- After going back to that post to link it up here...I am SO ready for Christmas again! This happens to me every year. I am ready for Christmas in the summer.)




I repeated that process with all of my fabric. I just ruffled the ribbon as it was off the spool.







Finally I folded in each end and hot glued it to the front of my daughter's backpack. I also added some 1/4" ribbon to the zippers to make zipper pulls. And that's it! A free redo for my $.99 backpack:)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails