Monday, July 26, 2010

Appliqued Zebra Print Pillow

I wanted to make a fun pillow for our couch, but something neutral...so I asked the hubs if zebra print would be OK and he said that was fine, and that he actually likes zebra print.

OK...there are two things that my husband should never say to me:

1. "Calm down" Anyone else hate that one?

2. "I like zebra print"

The second one is most dangerous because I have had an obsession with zebra print since my teen years. For example, this is my actual dresser:

Oh yeah...for real. It's painted zebra on the top and all four sides. I painted it when I was 15 and my parents were not too happy to discover the project halfway through. Luckily they have always been understanding about my need to paint anything white. They drew the line at my white car though...

When we moved, the movers kept trying to put it in my daughter's room...but I kept pointing to the other room (ours)...finally the guy just stopped in the hallway and looked at me until I said, "It's mine".

Luckily for my hubby, I keep it in our closet:)

ANYWAY (see how easy it is for me to get off track?!) I was more than thrilled when I got the green light on a zebra pillow for our couch.

Materials:

fabric for pillow (I used 1/3 yard)

fabric for stripes (also 1/3 yard)

Heat N Bond (I used the lightweight version)

iron

thread to sew on stripes

1. Cut out the pieces for the front and back of your pillow. And yes that is my unmade bed:)

2. Cut out a piece of your stripe fabric the same size as your pillow panel. Iron the Heat N Bond on the wrong side.

3. Draw out your stripes. You can reference a picture if you like:) Remember that your image will be reversed when you iron it on..so in this case it didn't matter...but if you are spelling something or want it to go a certain direction...then draw it on in reverse or mirrored.

4. Cut out your strips. I found it easiest to place them on my pillow panel as I was cutting them out. Peel off the back of the Heat N Bond and arrange them on your panel piece.

5. Iron the stripes on your pillow panel per the Heat N Bond directions. Yes that is my actual iron. Jealous?

6. Now sew along the edges of your stripes. I sewed as close to the edge as I could. This is great if you are not perfect at appliques because the stripes are wavy:)

7. Place your pillow panels together with right sides facing. Pin together and sew around the edges, leaving an opening at the bottom to turn it right side out and to stuff it. Also clip your corners (not through your stitching).

8. Flip right side out, press your seams, stuff, and sew the opening at the bottom closed. Sorry no pics of this...it was midnight:)

And you're done! This one is going on the couch...but it also looks nice on our bed:)

Price:

pillow fabric: $.65

black fabric: $.60

1/2 package of Heat N Bond: $.50

Total: $1.75

I also made a quatrefoil one for our bed that I will show off later:)

I am linked to:

Tatertots and Jello

Saving Money and Living Life

5 comments:

  1. Sooooo freaking cute! My sister loves anything zebra as well. :) Please come link it up to Fabulous Friday if you get the chance!
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant!

    I never would have thought to make my own zebra pattern - the options are limitless.

    Gorgeous execution of an clever idea.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You did an AWESOME job! I'm adding zebra stripes to my girls' room too. I will post pictures once it's done but I am using vinyl. I'd love for you to keep an eye out for it when it's finished! It's gonna be awesome! Visiting from Tatertots & Jello party...
    swainstonvinylanddezign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments ladies! I am glad there are people out there with a zebra obsession like me:)

    Swainston-I cant wait to see your daughters' room! We did our daughter's nursery in pink and zebra when she was first born:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! I have to ask did you make your headboard because that is just to cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails