Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Boutique Style Flower Clip

I'm sure you have seen these flower clips in all the boutiques ranging anywhere from $4.99 to even more! Personally $4.99 is way too expensive in my opinion...and now that the Little Miss has longer hair...it was time to make some of my own.

Materials:

silk flowers of your choice (I found these gerber daisies at the dollar store)

craft gem for the middle (Mine are by Favorite Findings in the button isle at Joann)

hot glue gun

alligator clip

ribbon to cover clip

1. Remove the flower from the stem, the back plastic part and the center plastic part.

2. Dab glue between layers of flower. I didn't take mine apart completely, because I didn't want it to loose its original shape...so I just stuck the glue gun in between different layers while holding it together in the center.

3. Glue your gem in the center.

Now on to the clip:

1. Place a line of hot glue on your ribbon and stick it to the underside of the top part of the clip as shown:

2. Put line of glue on the top of the clip and press ribbon over the top:

3. Dab glue on the insides of the end pieces (NOT on the spring) and press ribbon into the crease:

4. Dab glue onto bottom part of clip and press ribbon onto bottom and clip off any extra.

You could wrap the bottom part of the clip...but I find they hold in hair better if the bottom is left exposed.

Now glue the clip the back of your flower!

Now you have your very own boutique style flower clip for less than $1 each! I got 7 flowers on my bouquet from the dollar store and 5 gems...so I have 4 extra finished flower clips that are off to be sold. Since I have two extra flowers...I may have to experiment with fabric button centers instead of gemstones:)

Price (for all supplies):

7 flowers: $.99

gems: $1.40 (used 40% off coupon! Woo-hoo!)

clips: $.50

ribbon: $.10

Total: $2.99 to make 5 flower clips!

http://Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! I love making flower clips for my two daughters too but have never used ribbon to cover up the clip part. Very good idea and very cute!
    ~Robin @keephomesimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your clips are SO adorable and your tutorial was so easy to follow and understand. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi.... found your blog today... LOVE IT! My daughter and I are going to attempt to make your flower headband. I love how you put the price, you do things so inexpensive, yet they look like a million bucks! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails