Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fabric Covered Baby Wipes Case

I've had a string of crafty failures this week which has left me with a "blah" feeling. So I decided I needed a quick project to boost my crafting self confidence. So that's how we get to the fabric covered baby wipes case:



My daughter isn't a baby anymore...but we still have a case of wipes in her bathroom and the downstairs bathroom because they are still just so darn handy! After staring at this Disney princess case for over a year, I just couldn't take it anymore and something needed to change.


There are many tutorials online on how to go about redoing a wipes case and this is how I chose to do it.


I started with my case, some white acrylic paint, and a foam brush.



The material I wanted to use was a little too thin to cover the original image on the case, so I had to paint it white. If you are using a thick material or an already white case...then you can skip this step.



Next, I cut out a strip that was a few inches bigger than the wipes case in both directions. I cut my piece to be 25"x4"...but I recommend cutting yours 25" by at least 6" because I didn't have quite enough for the back.



Now, I brushed a coat of Mod Podge onto the case and started wrapping it with my fabric from the front (starting with the center of my fabric strip).



With more Mod Podge I worked around both sides. The case curved a bit so to avoid bubbles, I just pulled the fabric tight and trimmed the top edge as needed to be flush.


I used hot glue on the bottom of the case for the bottom edge of the fabric. I folded in the corners kind of like wrapping a present.



Here is a view of the back. I applied a little Mod Podge to the seam as well. You can see where I didn't have quite enough fabric at the bottom to accommodate the curve of the box. It doesn't bother me too much though since it will be facing the wall.



At this point you could also apply Mod Podge to the outside of the fabric to seal it, but I liked the fabric texture and decided not to.


Now this can go back on top of the toilet tank in my daughter's bathroom looking a little nicer than the princesses before it:)

2 comments:

  1. Did you notice how none of those princesses were looking at each other? Just like I told you! So creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely need to do this!!! i can't wait to have more time for nesting! i'm so ready for maternity leave :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails