Monday, September 27, 2010

Coffe Filter Wreath

I saw this idea on Little Big Nest and decided I had to give it a try. She used white coffee filters, which she soaked in tea to tint them darker. I found the darker coffee filters...and decided it would be more cost effective since I would have had to buy tea to tint white ones:) Unless Pepsi works...:)

Materials:

foam board

knife (or scissors) to cut the foam board

regular coffee filters

hot glue gun

1. I started out with a wreath shape that I cut from some old foam board. I LOVE that the dollar store sells foam board! Take that Michaels for trying to charge $2.99!

Make sure to cut your wreath a little smaller than the finished size that you want. The filters make it look larger in the end.

Also, I tried to show how I folded my coffee filters so that I could glue them on.

2. I started by placing them along the inside of the wreath.

I wrapped them around the inner edge and glued the little "tails" on the backside so the foam board was covered.

Here is the first row all finished:

3. I worked my way around the whole wreath. I would tuck the tails of the coffee filters under, then apply glue to them and use them as a little prop so my filter would stand up.

I applied coffee filters up to the edge of the wreath.

Align Center

4. Finally, I applied another layer of filters to the outer edge, much like I did to the inner edge so that no foam board was showing. Here is my husband being my wreath model:)

You could hang this straight on the wall, but I glued a loop of ribbon to the back and then a bow to the front and hung it about our television.

My daughter was too busy watching Word World for me to get a picture without the TV on:)

Price:

coffee filters: $1.49

wreath: old foam board

Total: $1.49

I am linked to:

The Girl Creative Party Blog

Someday Crafts

Tatertots and Jello

10 comments:

  1. when I first looked at this I totally thought it was silk flowers, fall mums or something@ it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative! Love it! I'm going to try this. Wish me luck!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! I would have never thought of this! - btw you have a button on my blog! http://2many2pick1.blogspot.com/2010/09/funny-story-and-yep-im-excited.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!!! So pretty! I wish I could have found brown ones! Oh well you take what you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how full that wreath is! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome...gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goregous. Simple, cheap, and gorgeous.

    I am lovin this craft and your blog. Stop by and visit me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok this is totally on my to make list. I have no idea where I would put it, but I love it! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails