Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Painted Glass Jars

Now that our Disneyland vacation is over (boo)...it's back to some serious crafting!

I got these jars at the thrift store a while back. The large one was $1.50 (yay for Goodwill half off sales!) and the little one was $1 at another thrift store.

They originally had clear glass lids and I had them in our bathroom storing cotton balls and cotton swabs on the counter. But I am weird about having things displayed that could be tucked away in a closet...so they got taken out of the bathroom. The all glass design didn't really fit in with our living room...so I decided to take a chance and paint the lids.

First I taped off the bottom ridge of the jar so that it would still be clear. I just used regular scotch tape.

You can see here how the lower part was not painted:

Then I just sprayed the tops with black spray paint that I already had and after that dried, I brushed on some metallic bronze paint I had (with a foam brush) to give them a brushed bronze look.

Finally I peeled the tape off and let them dry for the day so that they wouldn't stick to the base of the jar.

And that's it! I think it totally changed the look of them and they fit in nicely with the living room/dining room decor:)

For now I have them on my ladder shelf that my dad made me when my husband and I got married. I put some faux fall leaves and pinecones that my daughter had collected in them for the season:)

It's a really simple way to change the look of a jar using paint you might already have:)

I am in the midst of finishing a few more fall projects for this shelf too...so I can't wait to share this week! I love fall. Even though it is still 110 degrees here...I am determined to make it feel like fall inside!

1 comment:

  1. Way to repurpose, lady!! And super cute at that!

    Puggles...soooooo cute! My husband works evenings and Wednesday is one of his nights off, so we use the time to either run errands or spend a little bit of time together with our daughter! Hope you guys have fun tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails