Sunday, September 19, 2010

California Vacation

We headed out to California early Friday morning. Why is it no matter how early you wake up...you still end up leaving hours afterwards?? We even had everything packed and laid out!
The ride was nice and there was a alot of car dancing to "I've Got a Feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas (which may or may not have gotten caught on video). We made it to CA in record time (considering we had a toddler) and after a quick rest at the hotel (where there was a lot of toddler jumping on the bed which resulted in only one head injury on the headboard)...it was off to Huntington Beach:

We had so much fun just sitting, playing in sand, and chasing birds (well...only one of us liked chasing the birds...)

After getting to bed at 11pm...we were off to the Happiest Place on Earth the next morning!

We rode some classic rides:

And danced with some princesses along the way:

We even sat for a story by Belle herself! The Little Miss and I are upfront, close to the action:) My husband had the camera this whole time. Didn't he do a great job?

While in Fantasyland, we met Sleeping Beauty, Princess Tiana, Ariel, and Snow White came down off stage to dance close to us!

After the princesses, we had a quick diaper and costume change...and we were off to find Mickey and Minnie! Mickey had a sign out front of his house that he wasn't at home...and Minnie's house was closed for renovation! We thought we were going to miss them both...until we turned around and found Minnie!

They compared dresses and ears...and even swapped a few hugs and kisses:)

(I'm SO glad I made the classic dress...I love that they match!)

After a few more hours, we found ourselves on the curb for the parade.

This was as close as we ever got to Mickey. I don't know why he wasn't out and about. Oh well:)

There was also a ride on a flying elephant:

We went back to the hotel for a little break before some more Disney fun.

We got back just as they lit up the park:

The fireworks were amazing:

So, I was so concerned about keeping tabs on our daughter...that I never thought about getting lost myself! We rode Pirates at night (right before Fantasmic) and when we got off, I told my husband to stay there with our daughter and I would go get the stroller (out of the stroller abyss) and be right back...leaving my purse (with my phone) behind with my husband. Well...10 minutes later I realized I was all turned around, it was pitch black because of the show...and I couldn't hear a thing (because of the show). I found one worker (after 10 minutes) who let me use her cell...but my husband couldn't hear it...and then 20 minutes after that...another worker found me crying (it was so frustrating!!) and offered to let me use his phone. The show had stopped, so my husband heard it that time and we reunited halfway through fireworks.

So am I crazy or has that happened to anyone else? I mean...it was pitch black! No lights except for the show on the water. I think I just lost it because I asked several workers if there were phones I could use and they all told me to either find a payphone (um...no purse...so no money!) or they just stood there and said, "I don't know". Very frustrating! I know...silly me for walking away without a phone. I will NEVER do that again!

I think we got back to the hotel after 11pm and in bed after midnight. What a long day!

On the way home today we saw my brother and my sister-in-law that live in CA...and we managed to find a chocolate dipped cone on the way home too:)

So, I purposely left the most amazing part of our trip for last.

It was this:

The best 5 minutes...ever.

I realized that as we got ready to stand in line to meet the princesses...that I had been telling our daughter that we would see Cinderella at Disneyland. Well, it didn't occur to me (until we were next in line) that I had no way of guaranteeing that we would see her at all. Then I panicked that we would not get to see her and that our 2yr old would be sad...until we turned the corner...and there she was:)

This was not just my favorite because of the costume, or pictures...but because Cinderella was the nicest character we had met all day. Some of the princesses seemed like being a princess didn't really interest them (?!)...but Cinderella was amazing. She danced with our daughter, and hugged her a ton of times, and told her that she loved her dress and flower headband. She never once stood up or rushed her on for the next kid. At the end she asked Shayne if she could blow a kiss...but Shayne did one better, and planted a kiss on her cheek! Oh my heart!

With all of the ups (and downs) it was the best first family vacation ever.

Oh...and for the last few months I had been putting together a surprise bag for my daughter for when we got to Disney full of crayons, a coloring book, stickers, Cinderella lip gloss, Mickey Mouse plates and napkins to eat with, and candy...and I forgot it in her room at home!

So I decided to get all the pictures printed and put in an album...so we are going to invite my parents over and have a little post Disney party to look at all the photos and eat off our Mickey plates:)

For now we are home and our daughter is in bed for the first normal time in two days:) When my husband went to put her in her crib, she pointed to it and said, "I want to lay down in there"...so I think she was happy to be home too!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments and well wishes for our trip:) I would love to see any of your past Disney pictures or any of your ideas for future Disney plans!

PS-The park had sold out of Minnie Mouse headband ears...so I had one lady run up to me to see where I found Shaynes ears. I let her down by saying I made them:) I was still flattered that she thought I bought them...but she just walked off in a huff while saying, "Of course". Does it amaze you to find so many grumpy people at Disneyland??

And while riding the train, I had another woman ask me what shop I got Shayne's Minnie dress at. I told her I made it and she proceeded to tell everyone on the train that:) Does it make you excited when people think you bought the things you crafted? It does for me:)

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you made for you and especially for your daughter! She is the most beautiful princess of all!:-)

    I looked at your tutorial of your Mickey ears. How cool! And the dress is adorable. What talent! Thanks for sharing!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the picture of your daughter hugging Cinderella made me cry!! I am a HUGE Disney fan (even worked at Disney World while in college). I have been to Disney World about 100 times and I still get teary eyed! My oldest daughter LOVES Cinderella and we got to see her when she was 9 months old. Of course she doesn't remember it but I do and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys had so much fun!!! I really like the picture with Cinderella, too! What a sweet lady! How much you want to bet she's a momma, too? :)
    You made such adorable things for her to wear, of course people thought you bought them somewhere! :) They were perfect!
    We went to the zoo a couple weeks back and were asking the ticket taker (one of four of them!) a question before we went in and had a lady tell us to "hurry up and stop blabbing, can't you see we are trying to get through here?" instead of going to one of the other three who had no one in their lines...I just don't get it! Wouldn't it so awful to be that unhappy all the time??
    Have a happy Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like so much fun! I'm so excited to take my kids!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails