Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pillowcase Challenge #6: Bible Cover

I found this cute pillowcase a while back and I even paid a whole dollar for it! I know..what a splurge:)

I went back and forth about what to do with it. At first I was going to make an apron and oven mitt set for the Little Miss...but I decided I wanted to be selfish and make something for myself:) I started a new Bible study for moms at our church...so I decided my bible could use a cute cover:) This could also work for any other book you want to dress up. I so would have done this with all my textbooks in college if I knew how to sew back then! Ha!

Materials:

pillowcase (or about 2/3yd of fabric...depending on the size of your book)

matching thread

iron

1. Iron your fabric and lay your book out on top of it.

2. Cut 3/4" around the whole book. You want 4 of these pieces all together. My pillowcase was still assembled, so I was able to cut two pieces at a time.

3. Now you should have 4 rectangles of the same size. And yes...that is my unmade bed in the picture:)

3. Cut one of the rectangles in half down the middle of the longest side.

4. Take one of your half pieces and fold in one longer side 1/2" and iron, then fold the same side over another 1/2", iron, and sew with a straight stitch.

5. Repeat with the other half piece.

6. Now to make a pocket for the backside of the cover. Cut another one of your rectangles in half the same way as before. Fold over the long side 1/2", iron, then fold over another 1", iron, and sew with a straight stitch.

7. Fold in the other long side 1/4" and iron.

8. Place this piece on the right side of one of your rectangles. Position it about 1" in from the outside with the larger fold facing the outside and your shorter fold on the inside. Sew down the side with the small fold with a straight stitch.

9. Now for the straps. Cut out strips that are as long as you want your straps, plus 1" and double the width you want plus 1/4". I cut my strips out of the side of the pillowcase so I have seams running down the middle of my pieces.

10. Fold your strips in half lengthwise and sew up one side with a 1/4" seam.

11. Flip right side out, iron flat, and top stitch each side of the strap with a 1/8" seam.

12. Now we are going to put it all together. Lay your last plain rectangle down, right side up. Place both of the half rectangles you hemmed earlier right side up on top. Line up the raw edges along the outer edge so that the hemmed sides are facing in towards each other.

13. Now place the straps on top, folded in half, with the raw edges lined up on the outside. Make sure they are even on both sides.

14. Finally, place your rectangle with the pocket piece on top of everything right side down. Pin all the way around. Sew around the whole outside with a 1/2" seam and remember to leave a hole so you can flip it right side out.

15. Flip the cover right side out, iron (make sure your fold in your hole) and then top stitch around the whole outside with a 1/4" seam.

Put your book in. I liked how snug of a fit it is.

Here is the back of the cover with my pocket for papers, pens, or my daughter's childcare receipt which I always manage to lose when it's time to pick her up!

The front of the cover still looked a little boring...so it needed something. So I made some rosettes out of some old shimmery organza, white cotton, and pink jersey knit (that was actually a pillowcase too!)

Then I just hot glued them onto the front.

Total Price: $1.00

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! I am going to make one...soon! :) Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that turned out really cute! I love it! I need more time so I can copy off you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your cover! I loved it. I had a couple of fabric designer samples that I wanted to use. So I pieced it up and worked just fine! I <3 It! here is my blog so you can see it. If you don't mind I'll post a mini tutorial on mine...Let me know if it's fine...

    spontaneousmoment.blogspot.com

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my post about the cover...

    http://spontaneousmoment.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-made-bible-cover-for-my-bible.html

    If it's ok with you. I'd like to replicate your tutorial on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, too.

    My little man wants a bible cover and I wanted to attempt this soon.

    I'll be checking back for reference:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am using your tutorial tonight. i'll make sure to link to you. thanks so much for these concise directions.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails