Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Satin Flower Headband

Ok...am I crazy that we are leaving in a day and I am STILL crafting for Disneyland?? I am having so much fun coming up with new things for our trip. Today I made cookies in the shape of Mickey's head and tomorrow it will be pancakes in the same shape that we can eat the morning of Disneyland!

My husband laughed and said I was really going "all out" for this trip. Why wouldn't I? Its our first family vacation and its to the happiest place on earth! Plus...we can save money by eating our own breakfast in our room and free up some funds for some great souvenirs:)

So...back to the headband...

My daughter needed something to wear with her Cinderella costume (so...if you have read this blog...you will know that she already has a Minnie costume. Let me explain...Minnie is for the daytime fun and Cinderella is for when we go to Princess Fantasy Fair...OK NOW you think I'm crazy!)

So I wanted something simple that would go with her dress but also could be worn with anything else. I don't have step by step pictures of this (c'mon I am on a vacation deadline here!), but it was super simple.

Materials:

satin

hot glue gun

headband

ribbon (if you need to recover your headband)

candle

kitchen tongs

NOTE: The tongs are a MUST. You will burn your fingers over and over without them...so just get them out from the get go.

1. Cut out different sized circles from your satin. I made one slightly smaller than the one before. My flower has 8 of them.

2. Hold the satin circle above your candle flame with your tongs and keep it there until the satin curls a bit on the edges. Don't get it too close or it will burn it. To get the right shape, it just takes practice.

3. Glue all the layers together

Then just decorate the center with rhinestones or pearls...or nothing it all:) Your choice.

I covered an old headband with ivory grossgrain ribbon and then glued the flower on the side. I may also add a felt backing to the flower to keep it more secure on the headband. It will be handles by a 2yr old after all:)

Simple and classy:) I think it will match her Cinderella shirt perfectly as well.

Ok, now tomorrow I just have to pack, reserve our hotel (um...yeah I don't have one of those yet...) and make these and these...oh and maybe a shirt for myself if I can get around to it:)

Vacations are fun right?? I know I probably won't always be able to put this kind of detail into our trips but I really want to try. I think it would be fun for our kids to look forward to what new things I have planned for each vacation:)

Oh...and this project was free cause I already had everything. Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love the ideas. Hope you have a great trip! I can't wait to take my kids to Disney. I will have lots of ideas to use.
    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://thelifeofprincesskirsi.blogspot.com/2010/08/craft-day-cindy-shirt.html

    Check out what I made to wear to Disneyland, you could whip this up and I got so many compliments on it!

    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails