Thursday, October 6, 2011

2 Step Steak Chili


I have a confession to make. I realized the other day that I have not bought ground beef from the grocery store in a year. One whole year. Don't get me wrong, we go out for burgers and such...but I have not used ground beef in one single recipe at home over the last year. Is that weird?

I figured it's because I got pregnant last fall and the thought of ground beef would have me gagging. Then I got pregnant two months later and same thing. With the cooler weather this week I decided to make chili. I went to the store and picked up a pound of ground beef. It squished and grossed me out...but I put it in the cart anyways. Then, the thought of cooking it up made me gag so I put it back and just picked up a package of thin lean steaks...which were actually only $1 more (and there was enough for me to use the rest for another dinner).

SO...that's how I got to steak chili:) I mean, really, aren't chunks of steak more appetizing than ground pieces of beef anyways? I know my husband wasn't sad about the new substitution at all:)

Ingredients:

2 c steak (cut into bite size pieces)

1/2 c diced onion

1 can of kidney beans (I like the light red)

1/2 can of black beans

1/2 can of pinto beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 small can of tomato sauce

1 chili seasoning packet

about 1/2 c of water or however much to acquire the consistency you like

Directions:

1. Brown steak with onion on med-high heat.

2. Add rest of the ingredients and bring to boil for 10 minutes

Either serve directly from saucepan, or throw into a crock pot on low until dinner time.

This recipe can really be customized however you like. That's what I like about chili...add as much or as little of anything you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails