Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sausage and Spinach Manicotti

Manicotti is probably one of my favorite comfort foods. I decided to put a different spin on it this time by using Alfredo sauce and turkey sausage. It turned out to be one of my husband's favorite dishes! My 3 year old even ate an entire noodle herself!


Ingredients:

1 package manicotti noodles (boiled and slightly cooled)

1 package ricotta cheese (15-16 oz)

2 eggs

1/2 can of Alfredo sauce (I like the light Parmesan version)

1/2-1 cup shredded spinach
 (you could use a thawed version too...I just used fresh because it's what I already had and use as little or as much as you like)

 1 c cut and cooked sausage (I used turkey sausage links)

2 c mozzarella cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spread a little Alfredo sauce on the bottom of 9x13 baking dish.

1. Mix together ricotta, 1 c mozzarella, sausage, spinach, eggs, and salt and pepper in a bowl. I also mixed in just a couple of tablespoons of Alfredo sauce.

2. Stuff boiled manicotti shells with mixture. I actually cut a slit in the shells lengthwise, place some mixture in the center, and then roll them back up, placing then seam side down in the baking pan.

3. Top the shells with Alfredo sauce (just enough to cover them and keep them from crisping and burning in the oven) and then sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top of that. I also sprinkle a little more pepper and parsley flakes on top.

4. Bake (loosely covered) for 30 minutes and then remove the cover and back an additional 10 minutes (or until cheese is nice and melted).

Enjoy!

I only made a half a batch last night (since that is normally enough for dinner and my husband's lunch the next day for work)...but we ate the whole pan! I guess I need to make the full version next time:) I am also going to try this with diced tomatoes next time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails